Sealing new oak

Geranium

At last our new staircase and landing are installed.  I've been looking into various varnishes and sealers but to be honest wonder if I can wax the new wood?  I don't want to add colour and don't want too shiny a finish. I'd appreciate any advice and any recommendations on products/makes and where to find them.

The staircases are very large, with 36 steps, many spindles and the landing is 11 foot by 25 foot, so I guess I'm looking for the most painless option too!

Over to the experts!

you can buy non slip vitrificator specialy for stairs in brico marche clear or stained bit expensive but.... you will need two or three coats and light sanding in between you may be able to match it up with a clear vitrificator to do everything but the treads but you might get a difference in tint

Not exactly a seal, but have you looked at the Syntilor Huile Pour Parquet? (There are probably other brands, but that's what are Mr. B carries.)

We've put that on the new oak floor in our salon and it looks super. It's too soon to tell how well it will hold up.

Hi Geranium,

It is down to personal preference really, there are very hard, water based varnishes not always gloss that last very well under foot or the more traditional oiled and waxed. the oil on your kitchen units is usually Tung (best) or Danish (2nd best) these oils not only nourish and protect but help with the hygine of the wood surfaces.

There is a lot of useful info Here

My husband makes oak doors and the nicest finish we have found is either Fiddes or Osmo hard wax oil. The Fiddes is cheaper. The clear satin finish is beautiful - very easy and quick to do as it is liquid and you paint it on with a brush. There is also a 'limed' finish which keeps the light oak colour wIthout changing the colour if you prefer that. It will need to dry - so you will have to leave it perhaps overnight. Any retouching can be done easily in the future, either on a rag or again with a brush. We have this on our living room floor - which opens straight on to the street - and it has been there for four years - haven't had to retouch yet. It doesn't go orangey - take care with some of the other oils as they can change the colour.

Phylis

thanks Shimble...you can't remember what the non slip stuff is called by any chance? funny enough we have brand new staircase too (couldn't afford the oak though) so we will need to stain and protect it and non slip so the dogs don't injure themselves!!

Hello Geranium,

we used Fiddes hard wax oil on our new oak stairs etc and it was superb, finish excallent and hard wearing. Now for the rub, get it in the UK if you can, the european Fiddes outlet is in Belgium, the postage is more than the oil[6]

Hope this helps.

Charlie......

P.S. I now wait to be told you can get it in the local brico depot!!!![:)]

Geranium, you can get Fiddes products from Axminster (www.axminster.co.uk, I think) and they ship to France. In France, you can get OSMO from a company calles Solinbois (www.solinbois.com, I think).

Neither are cheap.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...