Tiling on a wooden floor

Myriam

Hi,

To make a tiled bathroom floor on an existing wooden floor (1st floor) :

We want to buy metal 'dovetail' plate material to lay on the wooden beams, then a thin layer of mortar and then tile over it. In Dutch this is called "zwaluwstaartplaat".

Does anyone know the French word for it and whether it is sold in France/Limousin?

Regards,

As you can not tile directly onto a wooden floor, the metal plates+mortar allow you to get a stable surface on which to tile.

It looks something like corragated iron, but square cornered instead of half-round.

_ _ _

|_| |_| |_| |_|

Yes I googled it Myriam, never seen it and I have tiled a fair bit.

We normally do tile on wood with a flex additive mixed into the adhesive or a purpose made adhesive for tiling on wood.

Important to use a flexible grouting to other wise it would obviously crack and leak.

Various membranes can be fixed down first if it is a wet room floor.

Is there a Porcelanosa near you? they would have all the necessary materials.

We tiled our bathroom, which had a suspended wooden floor, having first layed 15mm plywood which was screwed down. A coat of waterproof resin was applied before laying the tiles. None of the tiles have cracked and as teapot says use a flexible grout and adhesive...................................................JR

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your replies.

We have found the distributor for France, KDI, they were helpful and have an outlet in Brive (19) where we managed to buy the panels for Euro 33 each. About 30% more expensive than in the Netherlands, where the system is invented, but a good basis for a new floor in which you can also lay underfloor heating, which is very comfortable warmth in the months when it gets chilly.

Thanks again!

First you lay strips of insulation on the beams, then you lay the metal panels, then you inbed the underfloor heating in a layer of light-weight cement, then you tile over.

Before you do al the above, you enforce the new floor underneath with acro's.

At least, I think that's the way my husband is doing it... I'm no expert on the matter.