bottled gas for cookers

Hillsider

I am thinking of renovating my typically French dark oak kitchen. The range cooker we like from Conforama is mixed fuel (electric oven / gas hob). Before buying, does anyone know if it is likely that a French manufactured appliance will be compatible with bottled gas?

Our Godin gas hob came with 2 sets of fittings:  one for butane (which we have) and one for propane.  They're only fittings to go over the gas jets, nothing fancy and it's just as easy for the manufacturer to provide 2 sets as to establish what type of gas you want to use.

I have just connected our new cooker to the gas bottle, it was simple to change the jets, the cooker manufacturers provided a diagram, apart from not knowing about the regulator it was easy [:D] ( if it is connected properly and still doesn't flow, push the little button under the regulator[:$] ) I do find it cooks "hotter" than town gas.

Having, in the past, changed jets from bottled gas to town gas and, subsequently back to bottled gas I have never yet had to calibrate air/gas mix. In fact there is / was no method of doing so, Similarly the jets have not needed changing between the use of butane and propane, only the regulator.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Having, in the past, changed jets from bottled gas to town gas and, subsequently back to bottled gas I have never yet had to calibrate air/gas mix. In fact there is / was no method of doing so, Similarly the jets have not needed changing between the use of butane and propane, only the regulator.[/quote]

All I can say is, the last two that I have fitted for myself, I have changed the jets to LPG and because the flame was not burning correctly, I have had to remove the knobs and adust the air screws to all the burners.

Another point worth mentioning is that you get a packet of jets for different size burners, make sure the number on the replacement jet, has the same number stamped on it, as the one you are changing.

[quote user="Hillsider"]I am thinking of renovating my typically French dark oak kitchen. The range cooker we like from Conforama is mixed fuel (electric oven / gas hob). Before buying, does anyone know if it is likely that a French manufactured appliance will be compatible with bottled gas?

[/quote]

We bought a French Rosiere cooker (elec. oven and one ring + 3 gas rings.) It was fitted with jets for town gas, plus spares for butane/propane. Simply changing the jets and screwing on the regulator has produced flawless performance for five years.

I installed an Italian made "Smeg" hob configured for natural gas a few months ago. Changing to propane was the work of minutes.

Not changing the jets / adjusting the air flow is not actually dangerous - usually it is just less efficient and you might end up with soot deposits somewhere.

I read somewhere a few years ago (might have been on here) that about 40% of French households using gas for cooking are using bottled LPG. If a cooker is being sold in France it will come with a little bag of bits to allow conversion.

Certainly been my experience. But I am a chemist, so what I regard as not being dangerous and what the rest of the World thinks isn't don't necessarily tally.

The bloke (proper installer supplied by the retailler) who came and installed our first cooker many moons ago is responsible for providing for me with that nugget of information as well as for showing me how easy it was to change the supply.

I said "I suppose this must be for safety?" He said "Not really, just to improve the efficently and to make a cleaner flame." Perhaps he was a chemist too. Either way, I'd change the burner tips, ect.

As previous post, do double check numbers stamped on side of jets when you swop over - when we bought our last cooker, the bag of jets for lpg had two duplicated and one missing - easy mistake by the manufacturer but no slow burner for two weeks until they sent the correct one. Apart from that - easy job with a socket set.

Not changing the jets / adjusting the air flow is not actually dangerous - usually it is just less efficient and you might end up with soot deposits somewhere.

Riff Raff,

The soot deposits of which you speak are products of incorrect combustion which equals CARBON MONOXIDE.

gosub,

When you removed the knobs and twiddled with the screws, you were almost certainly not adjusting air, do you know what you have adjusted on this gas appliance?

May I suggest you get your gas appliances checked by a quailified engineer before any one is harmed.

Converting a cokker to LPG is not just a matter of changing jets and twiddling screws on valves that you have no idea of its operation.

Have all regulation ventilation requirements been met.

Have all the regulation clearences been met.

Has the regulator been checked for correct operation and pressure.

Has a pipe work tightness test been carried out.

I can go on.

As will be written in the manufacturers instructions for the appliance, any convertion work must be carried out by a qualified person.

For your own, your childrens and your grandchildrens sakes, do not jigger about with gas appliances and employ a qualified gas engineer to do the work, I know my family's live are worth more than the 50 to 100 euros it would cost.

Steve Widdowson

It never ceases to amaze me, the number of gas experts who post on forums

Maybe that's why 50+ people in the UK and 300+ people in France die from gas related incidents each year

I am gas qualified in France, are you, the other posters qualified to the same standard or just know it all's and Googlers

Do it yourself gas expertise is never a problem until you are dead

Le Plombier

[quote user="Le Plombier"]It never ceases to amaze me, the number of gas experts who post on forums

Maybe that's why 50+ people in the UK and 300+ people in France die from gas related incidents each year

I am gas qualified in France, are you, the other posters qualified to the same standard or just know it all's and Googlers

Do it yourself gas expertise is never a problem until you are dead

Le Plombier[/quote]

Who are these gas experts you talk of?

Changing the jets, on a gas hob.

I have never set my myself up to be an expert, but I don't believe that you need more than common sense to do a job like this.

If I need a more complex job doing.  I would call in the experts.

You and widdy are taking it out of proportion.

Both the gas hob and the gas cooker I purchased in France came with two sets of jets. One clearly labelled for town gas. There was nothing else to adjust and no mention of anything else to adjust within the documentation that came with them. I believe that the adjustment between propane and butane was achieved by the use of the correct detendeur.

I have, in contrast to every other house I have visited in anywhere in the World, carbon monoxide detectors in every room with a fire, hob or boiler capable of producing carbon monoxide.  I would not fabricate my own flues, weld petrol tanks, juggle chainsaws or trepan myself. I might in dire emergency remove my own appendix with the aid of a bottle of vodka for both anaesthesia and antiseptic but fortunately the situation has not yet arisen. I have flown in Ilyushins when it was they only way of getting home for a holiday.

So in the interests of illuminating Misinformation Uncertainty and Doubt can you explain which elements of the previous postings you disagree with rather than leaving anybody who was changed the jets on a hob with the impression that they are bound for glory in the near future either by asphyxiation or explosion.

[quote user="Widdy"]

Riff Raff,

The soot deposits of which you speak are products of incorrect combustion which equals CARBON MONOXIDE.

gosub,

When you removed the knobs and twiddled with the screws, you were almost certainly not adjusting air, do you know what you have adjusted on this gas appliance?

May I suggest you get your gas appliances checked by a quailified engineer before any one is harmed.

I is one, but mostly used to high pressure stuff ie 75 bar gas

Converting a cokker to LPG is not just a matter of changing jets and twiddling screws on valves that you have no idea of its operation.

It certainly can be just a matter of changing the jets and fitting the appropriate regulator close to / at the cylinder - if your cooker is designed that way, mine certainly is.

Have all regulation ventilation requirements been met.

Correct me if I am wrong but the ventilation requirements are not dependent on the type of gas being burnt.

Have all the regulation clearences been met.

As above, I do not believe the clearances change with the type of gas

Has the regulator been checked for correct operation and pressure.

I presume that when you buy a new regulator you immediately put it on a test rig to check it, is your rig certified with an in date calibration certificate from an approved third party test facility?

Has a pipe work tightness test been carried out.

Leak testing is not rocket science (no, I dont use a naked flame)

I can go on.

As will be written in the manufacturers instructions for the appliance, any convertion work must be carried out by a qualified person.

For your own, your childrens and your grandchildrens sakes, do not jigger about with gas appliances and employ a qualified gas engineer to do the work, I know my family's live are worth more than the 50 to 100 euros it would cost.

Steve Widdowson

[/quote]

It is not just a question of changing the jets when installing a cooker or other gas appliance

There is a whole host of regulations covering the pipe and fittings, the correct type and position of valves, ventilation ( cooker extract hoods not allowed for ventilation ), chimney if applicable, other gas appliances or ventilation in the same area, test of installation, et al.

Just changing the jets does not mean you will have a safe installation

Carbon Monoxide kills and the beauty is that you don't even know you are dying and when you are dead it's too late

A lot of these installations also require a gas certificate of conformity to be legal

But then you Googlers know best don't you

Le Plombier