New build or renovation

andy&lucy

Hi

In September we are moving out of our home to rent in Lower Normandy.  After months of searching for the perfect property and not finding anything, we are now looking down the line of renovating or a new build.  Can anyone give advise which is best.  We are under the impression that a new build doesn't take any longer than renovation as you don't need to 'make right' what's already there.

Any ideas as to how much a 4 bed new build with another 4 bedroomed accommodation attached would cost us?

Any advise and ideas really welcome !

Thanks

a new build can go up in between three and six months a renovation will take longer in my opinion a renovation will often take years and will generally have more issues raised as the renovation progresses and problems are discovered. you may find it easier to find artisans for a new build also as the time scales make it a more viable project..... as to whats best is for you to decide an old house with character that will probably go over budget to renovate or a new build in parpaing terre cuite wood or any of the options that new building materials and technologies have to offer........ land on a new build can be from 15 to 50 euros per square meter within a thirty mile radius depending on location you may find 10 or more buildings going up around you within a couple of years of buying your secluded land so many things to consider..........

[quote user="Anton Redman"]For the same quality of finish and style I normally find new build works out at between two thirds and three quarters of the cost buying then renovating. Savings on time are probably greater. So why am I living in my second renovation ? [/quote]

Because you're a glutton for punishment?  Only joking.......................[:D]

I don't live in a new build either.

[quote user="woolybanana"]My next one is gonna be new build or just about. asap.[/quote]

But, Wooly, you've hardly unpacked your boxes in your present one!  Is this to do with Randy being drummed out of town on account of her reputation alone?

I have mentioned it here on the forum a few times but renovations are always a lot more than anticipated and I personally would never do another one. Having said that, I would not want a new build in France, part of the appeal to me are the beautiful historic buildings, so I would buy a finished renovated old property (renovated by professionals not DIY). That way the poor people that actually went through the renovations experienced all of the pain and financial loss not you! [:-))]

Sadly in this climate there should be a lot of choice around.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you guys no soul? I'm not ready for a box yet. A renovation is a living thing with character, and presents a challenge to invigorate you, a thing of pleasure and satisfaction, if you think it will cost too much buy a smaller one. I'm just about to have another go at my fifth one, a particularly tricky character so far, It would be less painful to publicly beat myself naked with birch twigs, OK you may have a point, but it will have real walls, real stone that has sat there for hundreds of years having been hewn out of the ground and real beams that you can see where the branches were and a history of many souls (not Bodgit and Scarpers, with dry wall lining that goes into a hole when I hang a picture). [8-|]

[quote user="powerdesal"]If you want a 'house' then any new build will do, but.........if you want a 'home' then it has to be a renovation, by you, for you.  IMHO  [:)]
[/quote]

So where did you find an ancient stone character house in UAE or do you live in a cave?

In Turkey there are whole towns underground hewn out of rock - I visited one that was 14 stories deep - a tip don't bother going down more than 2 stories - they are all the same and it's a bit tiring getting out. They even took cattle and other animals down into these places.

Well Dog, as my Employer dictates where I live (he pays for it so its his choice - to a large extent) I live in an apartment, its a place to live in not a 'home'.

My choice of 'ancient stone character house' is in Normandy, thats my home.

Ancient, or 'old' at least here in the UAE is anything built more than 25 or 30 years ago, and boy, do they look it !!! Scabby concrete is the give away, built using saline beach sand, ( not any more - salt sand is now banned for concrete ). There is (supposedly) the oldest Mosque in the Emirates a few klicks away but I wouldn't want to live in it.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Well Dog, as my Employer dictates where I live (he pays for it so its his choice - to a large extent) I live in an apartment, its a place to live in not a 'home'.
My choice of 'ancient stone character house' is in Normandy, thats my home.

Ancient, or 'old' at least here in the UAE is anything built more than 25 or 30 years ago, and boy, do they look it !!! Scabby concrete is the give away, built using saline beach sand, ( not any more - salt sand is now banned for concrete ). There is (supposedly) the oldest Mosque in the Emirates a few klicks away but I wouldn't want to live in it.
[/quote]

Is that mosque for sale? I reckon a mosque would make a great conversion - I could even blast music out the tower 5 times a day!

I did live in a chapel once and I named it 'Alices Restaurant' crumbs that caused some problems amongst the small minded - the council served all sort of notices on me for running a restaurant....

[quote user="just john "]Have you guys no soul? I'm not ready for a box yet. A renovation is a living thing with character, and presents a challenge to invigorate you, a thing of pleasure and satisfaction, if you think it will cost too much buy a smaller one. I'm just about to have another go at my fifth one, a particularly tricky character so far, It would be less painful to publicly beat myself naked with birch twigs, OK you may have a point, but it will have real walls, real stone that has sat there for hundreds of years having been hewn out of the ground and real beams that you can see where the branches were and a history of many souls (not Bodgit and Scarpers, with dry wall lining that goes into a hole when I hang a picture). [8-|][/quote]

Exactly. Should the decision be made purely on financial grounds then probably renovation doesn't make sense but for character and a reminder when people lived in harmony with their surroundings than you cannot beat living in an old place. When I am working on mine I am constantly reminded of the integrity and sheer physical achievements of those who originally built the place without having all the stuff that is available today.

New build every time if you can afford it. You can build exactly what you want or can afford (including character if desired). The only down side is that finance is needed up front whereas renovation costs can be staggered over many years.

You ask about building costs. The only constants in building projects are the ground works/m. After that all costs are down to what you can afford or aspire to.

We have found a compromise - an old very small barn and are thinking of building a new/modern structure around it.  The quote for renovating the old barn part are very high - 1500/ sq m; for the new part, 1200/sq m - this includes average-quality finishes

[quote user="Braco"]

You ask about building costs. The only constants in building projects are the ground works/m. After that all costs are down to what you can afford or aspire to.

[/quote]

Are you kidding,[:D] we had a quote for our extension; quarter of a metre down they hit solid chalk, tried to continue but just kept lifting the JCB on the bucket and eventually burst the hydraulics, immobilising the digger on the spot, a day later it was fixed but JCB replaced by a mega monster; = original quote plus cost of new mega monster hire and extratime to dig out.[:-))]

Sorry I did not make myself clear - I meant that the costs of the ground works (footings, drainage, services) per M will be much the same whether you then go on to use breeze blocks or white marble hand carved by a decedent of Michelangelo.