Icing Gun for pointing?

confused of chalus

We are about to start pointing the stones on the exterior of our house.

Does anyone remember a Grand Designs programme a few years ago where

the couple used a sort of icing gun to apply the chaux between the

stones? If anyone has used one does it work? Is it easier than trying

to do it by hand? And someone told us there was an electric version. Is

this just another gadget or really good? Where can we find either the

icing gun or the electric version? Thanks,

Kathy

The concept works very well.

When I lined out the fireplace in my lounge with rustic briquettes the special grout for them actually came with a plastic pouch for the job. I can't imagine trying to get it in the gaps and spaces any other way without 50% of it ending up on the floor !

Mine was a relatively small job, about 3m2 or so, so doing it manually was no chore, but if you're looking at the whole side of a house some sort of powered device would make sense.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/bruno.jpg[/IMG]

The biggest problem with the gun type is they are ok for mortar made with building sand but when you use the very course sand for lime work they struggle and often jam.

This gun looks good and I spoke to the Company about lime work and that is what they actually use it for so seems the best option I have found.

http://www.pnupoint.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdG87spjvW8

The gun is £295, the compressor could be bought second hand or new then sold on afterwards so minimising the cost. There is no other cheaper alternative except Dandaz's the tried and trusted technique.

I know because I have tried them, I have the back of our house to do and it is a no brainer as the speed of the work makes the expense worth it unless you can find a couple of old Macons who will do it on the black.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Thanks guys. Theire (sorry - n

o accents!) it looks a bit expensive  and we dont have a compressor. But we'll keep looking for a cheaper alternative. Dandaz,  I respect your view, but with a whole house to do I dont think we can face doing it the long way - estimate it will take about three years!

[/quote]

Is this the kind of thing you are thinking of?

http://www.drywall-emporium.com/Durgun45_webpage.htm

You may need to cut and paste that link

Thanks for taking the time DavyH,

As I said in my post above, will work with buildings sand, jambs up with sharp sand and by the time you have messed around emptying the tube and re-filling you would have been quicker by hand. I know I own one. Best use is large areas of grounting which can be done at an amazing speed and with a lot less mess.

Like wise the pointmaster, better than the Durgun IMO but still jambs up a fair amount with sharp sand and you don't want to keep handling lime as it ruins the skin on your hands and gloves are a pain.

[quote user="Théière"]

Thanks for taking the time DavyH,

As I said in my post above, will work with buildings sand, jambs up with sharp sand and by the time you have messed around emptying the tube and re-filling you would have been quicker by hand. I know I own one. Best use is large areas of grounting which can be done at an amazing speed and with a lot less mess.

Like wise the pointmaster, better than the Durgun IMO but still jambs up a fair amount with sharp sand and you don't want to keep handling lime as it ruins the skin on your hands and gloves are a pain.

[/quote]

Not used one myself  Theiere - I did wonder if it was too good to be true!

ScrewFix (and others) sell pointing guns like

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67965/Hand-Tools/Builders-Tools/Builders-Basics/Roughneck-Brick-Mortar-Gun?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-POINTING%20GUN-_-67965

I bought an older version but like OP's found it pretty slow going - ok perhaps for regular joints but on typical french stone walls with gaps of all sizes, its easier to push/throw or trowel your muck in. If you have a bit of polythene underneath where you're working, you can re-cycle what you drop within reasonable time limits.

I recon a fast workman could point your house in less than five days unless you live in a castle ...A Paris couple was watching me do a wall it took all day ,they commented the same wall on the other side took them all summer to do...

Would`nt you rather be doing something else...

[quote user="dandaz"]I recon a fast workman could point your house in less than five days unless you live in a castle ...A Paris couple was watching me do a wall it took all day ,they commented the same wall on the other side took them all summer to do... Would`nt you rather be doing something else...[/quote]

Can't be true, they could never have seen you from Paris [:D][;-)]

Well thanks everyone. We think we'll try and do it by hand. What cash is left is needed for the trades we really cant skimp on - electrician, plumber. If it takes a long time, so be it.

Secondary question to all you pointing/chaux experts. Should we be aiming for the 'beurre' finish or would it look better with less chaux and more stone?

Kathy

hi, first time for me. Im in to restoration & repair of old buildings, and the best tool iv got for repointing brick or stone is a pointing gun i got from fowler tools bridport UK. Just like a tube of mastic you fill it up then cut the end to the amount of muck you want to come out. Yes it dose get bunged up BUT dose it ever save time. Cost me less than £35 ( just to give you an idear i can repoint about 6sqm aday)