Staircase Treatment

Aitch

Our main room is now finished and I need to treat the oak staircase to complete. Looking at the archive etc. I am now undecided as what to use. Danish Oil or the Ronseal/ Sadolin products? Obviously, it needs to be hardwearing for the treads etc, but after sanding and rubbing down do I need to seal the wood first or can I apply whatever I choose straight away?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Aitch

[IMG]http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww208/Aitchtee_2009/FranceStairs006.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I would recommend a hard wax oil, applied with a brush. Take care when you are chosing the oil becaus some have a tendency to go a bit orangey - we have used both Osmo and Fiddes. Natural satin finish is as near natural as you can get - but there are 'limed' effect which is whitish - mainly in the grain - or slightly darker ones if you prefer. Touching up later does not mean stripping it all off - just reapply as necessary. Our lounge is straight off the pavement and we haven't re-done it yet - applied four years ago. Hope this helps. PB