Which chainsaw?

muscoka

Hi

I would appreciate any advice.

I need to buy a petrol chainsaw for normal use - sawing up some oak beams in the barn, tree pruning etc

I have been advised that a Stihl is the one to get but any advice on alternatives and  on the power I should be looking for. Also heads up on any 'deals' that are out there at the moment would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

I have a Stihl combi strimmer/hedgetrimmer and a Husqvarna chainsaw.  Both get worked fairly hard (in a domestic situation) and neither are perfectly looked after.  Both always start easily.  I would have thought you could not go wrong with either make.  As much power as you can afford is usually best advice but in reality even their smallest "home use" machines should do for what you want.

Internet searches can usually come up with some interesting prices.  As an aside my wife made me spend as much on the safety equipment and clothes as I did on the chainsaw.

Mr Clair recently looked into chainsaws in France and after much debating and comparing, he ended up buying a MAKITA DCS4610-35 PETROL CHAINSAW (SB) from a UK Ebay dealer he had traded with previously.

The total cost came to €180 including delivery to France.

The same chainsaw bought in France would have cost around €240 + delivery.

This summer I was asking the same question and received some good advice  - in the end I bought a Stihl MS 250 (not sure what I paid but got a deal by shopping around locally) - I use it for cutting trees, doing firewood etc. I actually have about 5 chainsaws, Petrol and Electric - and from experience would advise to go for a quality one rather than budget ..........and Stihl are really good!!

Thanks for the prompt responses.

It has made me think about the safety side so I will be investing in a kit I think.

After doing some quick research on prices it looks like the UK once again. I would love to 'support my local shop' but his price versus on line in the UK  means about a £150.00 difference. This is becoming a very expensive place to live.

Thanks again for the useful advice.

for the pro, they wouldnt  touch anything other than a stihl or husquavana (sic)

stihl is by far the better make, but they wont sell be mail order and tend to be about £100 more expensive than a husq.

having said that i have an electric flymo woodshark which is great

kim

[quote user="kimg"]

stihl is by far the better make, but they wont sell be mail order and tend to be about £100 more expensive than a husq.

[/quote]

Yes, it's interesting the words that online mail order companies use on their websites regarding Stihl. Usually along the lines of "call us".  I bought a Stihl brushcutter mail order about 18 months ago and they said that they would call me to finalise the sale as per Stihl's instructions. They never got round to calling me and just went ahead and delivered.  About 2 weeks later the mail order company had gone bust.

I cut up some six inch Oak window lintels last week with a friends 'Go-on' two-stroke chainsaw, and it went through like a knife through butter, he said he normally buys Stihl but the 'Go-on' was so cheap he thought it worth a punt, he is really pleased that it has outlasted the warranty and is still going strong. He did say never force a saw through wood and undercut where possible, let the saw do the work so that you don't overload it.[:)]