Clutching at Straws

Gardian

We're having some double glazing done sometime in the next month or so.

Just a thought.  I know that I can offset 25% of the cost of the materials (not the labour) against my tax bill for whichever year in which the installation takes place.

Let's say that my Imposition d'Impots is €1k and the above is €1.5k, does that simply wipe out my tax liability, or do I get a €500 refund?  

Now, if it wasn't for the fact that the infermiere is dropping by for a routine blood test at 08.00 tomorrow (mine, not hers!), I'd get the celebratory Armagnac out here and now!  I'd have put odds of 20-1 against that being the answer.

No catch is there?  No top stop?  Nothing changing on 31st Dec 2009?  

Don't joump for joy too high...

There are all sorts of criterea to be fulfilled; The stuff must be installed by an Artisan, it must be your primary residence, things are changing on 1/1/10 and there is a limit on the amount you can reclaim.

IME, the DG companies simply mark up the price by the tax allowance, then point out that you can get it back. Inevitable, I suppose.

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

The stuff must be installed by an Artisan, it must be your primary residence, things are changing on 1/1/10 and there is a limit on the amount you can reclaim.

[/quote]

Yes to the first two.  It's going to be touch & go whether it gets done before Christmas (ordered 10 days ago, with a 6-7 wk leadtime.)

Nick - can you provide any info on the new limits?

In the meantime, thanks everyone for the good news.

Maricopa ............

Excellent - on that basis, it looks as though we've got a result.  I'll chase up the menuisier on Monday and ask him to break the habit of a lifetime and extract his Southern digit.[blink]

Think that I'll have that Armagnac tonight.[:D]

Many thanks again.