Devis for electricity installation

oldgit72

Hi,

I am seeking a few devis for putting in the electrics from scratch in my little 2 bed cottage. I am not looking for anything special in the spec - about 18 prises, 10 light fittings/switches, cable to cooker/heated towel rail/washing machine/water heater and a front/back external light + fuse box,prise de terre and about 15m of undeground cabling to the EDF box (I will dig trench). Can anyone give me a ball park figure that I should be looking for?

thanks

We have just covered this, I'm still smarting, the quotes specifically do not include chasing cables into walls since I have a skirting duct around all rooms.
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1852191/ShowPost.aspx

We've just had a quote for wiring a 2-bed gite barn conversion @ e5000, (though we were advised it was not to conseuil standard, ie not telephone and TV points everywhere, that would be an additional e2000!) we are now waiting for a second devi from another.[8-|]
Now have our second quote[:-))] €8400!! including 22 Prise de courant at €67 each (this includes the wiring I believe!)
I asked a learned French Friend his advice, his opinion was that the 7k was not to be trusted with a gallic shake of the wrist, whereas everyone uses the 8.4k and he calls out with no charge and fixes everything for free after.[Www] I'm struggling to come terms with this, having had a bigger place in the UK rewired for less than half that amount.

well to be honest i find these quotes all reasonable (I was expecting to see at least 10 grand) for french prices materials are going up every month and this can be a very time consuming project running cables through stone walls etc  ........ and most artisans will charge at least 35 an hour if not 50 + materials + vat .........thats why i did it myself and ive spent many hours and a few grand in materials already ..............

Most of the wiring willbe run through plasterboard where possible. I was thinking 2-3 weeks work which @37euros/hour comes to about 3000 euros+materials. I've bought quite a lot of the materials aready (gaine,prises,interruptors) so hopefully there won't be too much more in materia costs. I can't see where you would spend several thousand on materials for a small place like mine. I'll post when I get a quote I'm happy with.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="oldgit72"]Most of the wiring willbe run through plasterboard where possible. I was thinking 2-3 weeks work which @37euros/hour comes to about 3000 euros+materials. I've bought quite a lot of the materials aready (gaine,prises,interruptors) so hopefully there won't be too much more in materia costs. I can't see where you would spend several thousand on materials for a small place like mine. I'll post when I get a quote I'm happy with.[/quote]

Assuming an 8 hour day and a 5 day week at 37€ an hour over 3 weeks you've already churned out 4440,00€ before you add your own material costs plus any additionals your electrician may need. Earth spikes, cables, clips, etc etc. Oh and dont forget, if he/she reuqires any additional materials you will pick up the tab for travel and material collection too. The number of people I hear complain that they get charged for the time it takes to go and get the materials does my head in. [:@]

I can only say having to do some of the running around for last minute discovery bits I know where the time goes, but our sparky in the UK orders the 'quoted specification' from the local wholesaler and they deliver to where the job is, so will Screwfix on a next day order. No excuse for not knowing what is required except that one off last minute discovery[Www]

Agreed John, but unless you live close to a reasonable sized town or city (as I guess is the case for many of us here) you have to travel 50 plus Kms to and from the places where you buy your materials and many people dont get everything from the same supplier so even if you did have a delivery service by the time the cost of delivery has been added it may well still be cheaper to go and get them yourself. This may be based on cost, quality, discounts, special offers or whatever. So you'll still likely wrap up a day for 1 or 2 guys just to be ready for the off.

My main point was that oldgit72 has already cranked up nearly 4500€ in labour alone.