Smoke stained fireplace

frexpt

The house we have just bought has a lovely grey stone fireplace, which I think is limestone.  The previous owners have burned an open log fire for the past 10 years and the smoke stained surround looks to be pretty ingrained.  Any suggestions, please, on what to use to restore the surround or at least reduce the staining?

[quote user="sweet 17"]Isn't the staining part of the er.............character?[/quote]

I thought so too, but then again, if you have an open fire yes, with a cast iron log burner it looks a little strange IMO.

That looks like a good range of products for restoring the stonework, I had resonable success with foam type oven cleaner. (cheap leader price stuff) The worst of the black came off easily and with each successive application the stonework got lighter. You need a lot of paper towel to wipe up though.

No it did not damage the limestone, before anyone asks. [:)]

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Isn't the staining part of the er.............character?[/quote]

I thought so too, but then again, if you have an open fire yes, with a cast iron log burner it looks a little strange IMO.

That looks like a good range of products for restoring the stonework, I had resonable success with foam type oven cleaner. (cheap leader price stuff) The worst of the black came off easily and with each successive application the stonework got lighter. You need a lot of paper towel to wipe up though.

No it did not damage the limestone, before anyone asks. [:)]

[/quote]

I think that there is a distinction to be made between "character" features and the filthy state of this fireplace that has been caused by years of neglect.  A little gentle restoration to bring a lovely feature up to the standard of the rest of the property is what is needed here and yes, we are installing a woodburner, so Théière's observation was absolutely spot on!

Many Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Hmm, hydrochloric acid on limestone, now that really has to be a big no,no.

If the vapour doesn't leave you in tears the damaged fire place sure will [:'(]

Oh and by the way the gas produced by the reaction could put you in a coma

http://www.gcsescience.com/rc3-marble-chips-hydrochloric.htm

http://www.classzone.com/books/earth_science/terc/content/investigations/es0610/es0610page11.cfm

and just as we are all trying to reduce our Co2 emissions