buildings insurance.

sharpy

we are due to do the final signing on our barn in december, and are on the understanding that we will require building insurance in place on this date. we have done a 'google' and searched on this and other forums and are unable to find what we are after:-

can anyone recommend an insurer who will insure an old stone barn in the limousin. the biggest problem we are getting is that we only have a general postcode not a full address ie 27, new road, newtown etc.

many thanks for any help/ideas.

We did the same a couple of years ago nearly!

I had arranged finance  through one of leading companies dealing with money transfer and they offered buildings insurance at the same time.

We took this up and have indeed stayed with them for second year.

If you pm me I'll give you details.

Johnnyboy.

PS we are in Haute Vienne too.

If you have already set up a French bank account you can get them to do it. Alternatively if you are coming over to sign ask the agent you bought the house from (assuming its a French agent, that what we did to start off with) or go to a local French insurance agency direct. In both cases they can arrange cover in about an hour. Insurance is cheaper in France.

We did find insurance cheaper in France - even with a broker, BUT after the first year we asked for some contents cover & the price more than doubled.  They said 'maison secondaire - more risk'.

We queried this with our bank CA - much cheaper - they said 'maison secondaire- not many big value items'.  Which is true.  Still cheaper in our case than the UK.

CA does have an Eng. speaking tel service- perhaps you can do it on the phone, but it does need to be done for 'handover' meeting (completion)Good luck

Tegwini

[quote user="sharpy"]

we are due to do the final signing on our barn in december, and are on the understanding that we will require building insurance in place on this date. we have done a 'google' and searched on this and other forums and are unable to find what we are after:-

can anyone recommend an insurer who will insure an old stone barn in the limousin. the biggest problem we are getting is that we only have a general postcode not a full address ie 27, new road, newtown etc.

many thanks for any help/ideas.

[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean about a full address. Most country places only have the address of the hamlet they are in, followed by postcode and name of village/town commune your hamlet is part of, i.e. Bouillaguet (hamlet), 19510 Lagrauliere (postcode and village). Your barn must be part of some hamlet/commune somewhere and your immobilier should be able to provide the proper address.