Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Gymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

Cytgan

Dave 

every thing has a price

[/quote]

Now Dave - would that be before or after we destroy the tired old one trick red dragon in Dublin in March [;-)][Www][:D][;-)][Www][:D]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you believe that the damn vidange valve while it turns and opens isnt releasing water from the ballon. I've had to push a small screwdriver up the inlet part of the GdS valve (the non return portion of it) to let the water out that way and its going to take forever.

Maybe I need to start singing that Welsh tune and get Dave over here for that lift [;-)][;-)]

[quote user="DaveandOlive"]if you remove the cold feed it will  mt through the inlet[/quote]

I have removed the flexible from the Groupe de Securite mount and pushed a screw driver into the inlet valve area to push back the non return valve piece. This is the only way I can get water out. Its a dribble though.

OR do you mean remove the entire Groupe de Securite valve in total. I'd thought of this but I was concerned that it might just gush out and I'd end up with many litres of water all over the place. That wouldnt get me any brownie points at all. [Www]

Try removing the hot feed pipe, dont worry the cylinder cant empty from it but there may be a U siphon of water upstream preventing the air from venting via the open hot taps.

The calc will doubtless be slowing things down however, if all else fails and you bite the bullet and decide to remove the group I would first reconnect the hot pipe and close the hot taps to limit/control the escape of water and have a lot of good runners standing by with buckets.

It could indeed be so calced up that you need to rod it after removing the groupe.

Been there, seen it, dunnit and got the wet ankles [;-)]

On the positive side it is looking more and more likely that your MIL will soon be able to take an evening bath!

Okay - new 200 litre ballon installed with new teflonne groupe too. MIL has had her bath this morning and there are smiles all around. The old tank certainly has some calc inside it as we could here it rolling about as we removed it. How much I'm not ceratin.

Anyway, once again, thanks for everyones input, advice and comments.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Surely you cant leave it at that?

Arent you dying to cut it open or remove the element to see?

If the new one felt a lot lighter then that is a good indication of loads of calc.

Ask MIL to take another bath this evening [;-)][/quote]

Life just aint worth that Chancer - as for the opening of the old one, thats'll have to wait until next weekend. I have to put the utility room back together again now. [:(][:(]

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]I have to put the utility room back together again now. [:(][:(][/quote]

You don't mean to say that you left a few scraps of wire wool / jointing tape / old washers, general gunge, etc, lying around?

I think that these items add a certain charm to a room - women just don't get it.

Glad it all went OK. 

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]I have to put the utility room back together again now. [:(][:(][/quote]

You don't mean to say that you left a few scraps of wire wool / jointing tape / old washers, general gunge, etc, lying around?

I think that these items add a certain charm to a room - women just don't get it.

Glad it all went OK. [/quote]

Aye - Gardian I wish. If it had only been that. As I was working in there, in came her ladyship with this and that to be hung, new worktop, extra sockets etc. It hit me like a Tsunami for dear sake. I finished at 9:20 last night and then she wonders why I'm yawning this morning. Weekend off - you gotta be kidding........... [:(][;-)][:D]

It would be interesting to open the tank.  We had same low hot water output from at CE only 3/4 years old.  We replaced it then I opened up the bottom.  The "Stack Pipe" had bene made of a plastic material and had become very brittle, breaking off half way down.  It was obvious on seeing this that only the top half of the hot water could be extracted, then it just ran cold.  There was negliable calcium.

It was not a cheap make and after speaking so the suppliers, (BAO)  they said that the problem had been recognised and the stack pipe changed to stainless steel. 

Overall , when buying a CE it might be worth asking what the stack pipe is made from, to hopefully get a longer life.  Needless to say it failed outside of the guarantee peroid!