Buying online from IKEA - experiences ?

I'm looking to buy a number of kitchen units from IKEA which constatly appear to be 'non-disponible' from my two nearest branches. I am considering buying them (albeit at a delivery cost of €120) online as they seem to 'appear' in my shopping basket if I try to buy online - in order to secure the items 100% as I need to coordinate their delivery/collection withing a 10 day 'window' of me being able to take/make delivery of them..

Being 'available online' - does this actually mean available from stock? From clicking 'buy' to delivery - roughly how long? The 'transporteurs', how well do they cope with buying say 3 weeks ahead and coordinating a delivery to marry up with me being there (my French is good so phone calls to them are fine..)

Interested to hear from anyone before I spend hours on the phone trying to get the gist of things..

Many thanks!

Hello

2 years ago I bought a couple of sofas ( available to order on line  - disponible pour commande en ligne) from Ikea Toulouse.

I dont seem to recall any problem regarding fixing a delivery date - just the expense! Recently I emailed them about something else and they were very helpful - so in my limited experience-  you should be OK

I drove to Ikea Montpellier two years ago to buy a hob. As they didn't have the type I eventually chose that day in stock, they arranged free delivery at a time to suit me and kept in touch until it arrived safely.

Hi

We bought beds from Ikea on line a couple of years ago and had a stress free experience. As non-residents in France I arranged it all from home. If you go onto the website (Ikea.fr) and click on Vente en distance and then on English, you are guided through the whole process. There is also the possibility of speaking to someone in english if your french is not good. We entered the dates of our visit to France, ordered on line and were then given a telephone number to arrange the exact date and time of the delivery. The delivery van arrived within two minutes of the promised time. My only gripe is the cost of delivery which increases with the amount you spend - surely the more you buy should attract a reduction. Saying that, it was good to have everything on time as it is difficult enough to get things done on a short visit.

My   2 bedroom holiday home is  fully furnished from IKEA.....I had looked at the UK site  and also visited them ....Some of the smaller items we had picked up from Bristol  and  had a good look at what we were going to get in France .....Some stuff much cheaper in France other stuff not !  I was not happy that any arrangements re delivery would be on time from Nantes  to South Vendee ..things can go wrong  ...so hired a van from Super U and drove up to Nantes where their staff were most helpfull in assisting us to buy and load up everything .....I note what the delivery cost is that you have been quoted ...The hire of the Van was about 53 euros for the day  as I recall. a very roomy Ford with side door access ....We were also able to call in at La Roche sur Yon  Conforama and pick up a cooker...  fridge.. and the telly on the same run .. so it worked out fine for us...and on the day after we picked up the keys ..I accept not everyone will want to drive a Van and spend a whole day going to IKEA  or  hump stuff about themselves ..but if  someone has a "window " to work with.... the above is an option .

Thanks..

Hiring a van is surely no problem - the problem for me really is the "in store availability" ! I have a camionette in France - just the items I want are just not available 'in store' when I check on the web site..

Do they have a 'central depot' from where they deliver? I am bang in the middle of Toulouse & Montpellier - both stores of which are 'not in stock' of the items ?

Thanks

The availability 'in store' information is rubbish. Last week it seemed that Ikea Toulouse didn't have any kitchen stuff at all, yet when we got there, there were plenty of evrything! We hired a van form Ikea, cost about €50 instead of €299 delivery charge. We did have beds etc delivered when we moved in and had no prblems whatsoever, except the cost. As you speak french well, suggets you call the local store and see what availability really is.

But equally some things on the range are only available by ordering - the paper catalogues clearly indicate this.  For some kitchen door styles this is the only route and although you could buy the carcasses and fittings at the store you would still have to wait for the doors to be delivered.  It may well apply to any white goods as well.

Not much good to anyone one here, but for others reading, the Ikea in Brest is due to open in March - whooppee, (cartwheel cartwheel). I am soooooo excited, I could crush a grape...............[:)]. No need to get anything from England, if you wait long enough, it comes to you eventually.

Georgina