ADVICE ON WOODBURNER PLEASE

Angie

Sid,

The stove was brand new at Easter and the ash pan hasn't been emptied yet. I will order some new rope and try that but I'm thinking that a damper is the only way. The stove will have to come out for me to alter things but there isn't a lot of arm room above to unscrew an access door (the granite lintel is 600mm thick. This stove burns like a furnace day or night. I think it was the other Steve that has the daytime probs!

The room is 6m x 10m but only has a curtain to the dining room to slow down the air flow - even so the air controls should still slow things down. I was seriously doubting that they were working at all.

The other stove loves the French wood but that is all cast iron, the Herald is a mixture of steel & cast iron.

Steve

Our Herald came with a flue damper, but even closed (it has a cut out to maintain some flue draft) it still goes out overnight. Its the multi fuel version with air slides at the bottom and air slides at the top for the air wash flow.

Double door model and I am beginning to suspect the asbestos 'string' door seals.

Not saying anything, except why are you all buying Brit stoves for French houses? The French have been using woodburners for years, so why not have a good French marque installed?

Our Supra burns all night with no probs, but then it may be down to the wood....

Just to clarify, the supplier mentioned above is a supplier not a fitter in france although he is qualified to fit in the UK. We used a qualified fitter in our area who installed new tubing and the stove in accordance with the regulations.

Previous to our ownership, an english person had fitted or should I say rammed some tubing upwards which kinked near the top because the chimney isn't quite straight and according to our neighbour the person who owned the house previous to the person before us lit the insert which actually sat on the hearth and not inserted at all and without any tubing whatsoever then lowered the mantel to ensure the smoke went up the chimney and not into the room. Fearless freddies I think as I certainly wouldn't have been able to sleep during the night with the fire lit knowing those circumstances.

[quote user="Dog"]

I have bought two French and one Norwegian. Perhaps I'm wrong Jotul may not be Norwegian.

I know which is the best.

[/quote]

So Dog what is best, or are you not telling? Jotul is certainly Norwegian but has manufacturing plants in lots of European countries including France.

The overnight burning problem has been solved.

The lower air inlet flap locking screws had come loose, hence, whilst giving the appearance of being closed (as they should be for wood burning) were actually allowing air to bleed through and causing excess air to the fire overnight.

No reason of course why this should affect the day time burn but it seems to have as the fire is burning away merrily.

Maybe the early burn out led to a radical drop in flue temperature and poor draught after relighting until some heat got into the flue ??????

[quote user="powerdesal"]The overnight burning problem has been solved. The lower air inlet flap locking screws had come loose, hence, whilst giving the appearance of being closed (as they should be for wood burning) were actually allowing air to bleed through and causing excess air to the fire overnight. No reason of course why this should affect the day time burn but it seems to have as the fire is burning away merrily. Maybe the early burn out led to a radical drop in flue temperature and poor draught after relighting until some heat got into the flue ??????[/quote]

Glad you're sorted, -13c here in Barlick last night. The same tonight, oh for the luxury of of a woodburner.......

We bought a Jotul F600 12Kw woodburner when we arrived here, and it's been brilliant.

This year we also bought an Esse woodburning range (similar in looks to an Aga), and after some initial problems, it is running 24/7. It keeps the kitchen warm as toast, and cooks superbly.

Chris

• 1 month later...

[quote user="Butchersdog190"]Just had a Jotul F600 installed and it is quite simply stunning[:D]

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/6v7CTmKp0Y3M_ia8bfYivw?authkey=Gv1sRgCKftj9qI5aivtQE&feat=directlink

[/quote]

I have the same stove, with the soap stone top, as you say it really is a fabulous piece of kit. But, and there is a but, the door handle drives me mad, it is possibly one of the worst pieces of design I've come across., I am amazed that such a good stove has this awful low tech handle.

Andy,

I don't use the side door on my stove very much as I haven't got quite as much space at the side of my stove as you have,  and as at the minute it's very cold  here in the Loir et Cher, I tend to use the space as a wood store. I know what you mean about burning wood at a great rate, but once you get used to the stove; you learn not to put too much wood in to it and  keep it going at a  steady burn. I bought a stove pipe thermometer and I find that helped. Try to burn at a good steady flame, not a high flame, you then get a good heat return over a longer period. thereby getting better heat value out of the wood. Also it's amazing how a little adjustment on the draft control makes a lot of  difference on the fire.  I found it a huge learning curve, and now wished I had bought one years ago. Before with a huge open fireplace I might just as well burned pound notes in the hearth, all I was doing was heating up the air above the house. By installing the woodburner I have cut my wood consumption by about 2 to 3 steres a winter, the oil fired central heating come on  lot less, saving oil, and it's great to sit in a really warm room which doesn't fill up with smoke a couple of times a week.  [:D]