Tiles on wooden floor?? How?

nijntje

Hello,

We will be converting a longere into gites. The attic floor is where the bedrooms and the bathrooms will be.

I know you can normally not tile on a wooden underground as the wood lives and will move and crack the tiles over time...

What is the best solution if I do want tiles in the bathroom? Is there any kind of special plate or layer that I can use to tile on?

Thanks!

As I understand it you'll need to put down an additional layer of wood about an inch thick onto your existing floor in the attic, then you'll have enough rigidity to be able to tile onto it, but you MUST use flexible tile adhesive and grout.

I'm doing something similar in a first floor bathroom.

We put a shower-room in what was the hay loft and our builder covered the floor with exterior grade ply, about 3/4" thick.  The added benefit was a level surface to tile on.  Its only a year since the tiles (with plasticiser in the waterproof grout) were done so its too soon to say if there will be movement but can't really think why there might be.

Just something for you to consider.

You can get bathroom grade laminate flooring with tile effect which is very realistic.

If you apply clear silicone to the joints (as our fitter did) you get a little extra security against possible water damage.

And they are a lot warmer to the feet!!

Having gone tile stir crazy recently tiling two bathrooms and two shower rooms on wooden floors, I didn't want to lay ply on top of the floor because of the height differance; (I had done this once) nor rip up the floorboards and lay 22mm marine ply or chipboard, (I have also done this once each) all of which were just too much time and expense; Then we were advised that this is the answer, http://www.vistatiling.co.uk/products/Nicobond_Plastic_Ply.html, it sticks onto the wooden floor and the plastic grid holds the adhesive which thereby allows the floor to move under the adhesive if necessary, our pro shop advised us to use smaller tiles like mosaic sheets, so that any movement that may occur will not crack the tile, but we have used 10cm square tiles (too time consuming) then both 30cm square and finally 40cm square tiles, no movement or cracks 3mm and 4mm spacers, floor was easy to lay and looks and feels good. (edit, over 3 months )[8-|]

Hi,

I've tried laying Tiles over floorboards that were in good condition, flat and screwed down. I used flexible adhesive and grout and within a few months the tiles where you walk were all loose and popping up. Gravity was the only thing holding them in place

I had to rip the lot up and replace the floorboards with flooring grade chipboard ( water resistant type ) to avoid having a tripping hazard at the doorway, screwed down every 12 inches and its been fine for over five years. If you can't get flexible adhesive and grout , they do a liquid additive in the UK that transforms normal adhesive / grout

Best of luck

Joshua

Hi. I put tiles down several years ago on a wood floor 9 foot by 9 foot and had no problems by useing the following method:- First screw down the floorboards with more screws. Next with a heavy duty stapler, staple down a layer of chicken mesh (about 1 inch mesh) with an overlap.

Then lay the tiles on top of the mesh with flexible tile adhesive.