Woodstove flue

barrington

Hi everyone please help clear up my confusion re the correct fitting of flue pipes to a new Godin chauffeco 8kw freestanding woodstove.

We have a 3year old bungalow and during the construction we had a stainless steel double skinned chimney installed and left unconnected until we decided to have a woodstove.

Well we got a devis for the above stove and fitting, from our local French chauffage engineer and agreed the devis, so eventually he came to fit the stove.

After we had had two fires,  one morning we found a pool of water on top of the stove and it appeared that condensation had run down the OUTSIDE of the black flue pipes and left run marks on the pipes. On closer observation I noticed the flue pipes(single wall types) were installed with the female ends pointing downwards and on calling back the engineer Ipointed this out to him. He was adamant that it was correct.

The spigot coming out of the stove (125mm) is slightly tapered but will only accept the female end of the flue pipe .This would mean the other end of the flue  would be male and would be pointing UPWARDS so would have to join a female end of pipe pointing DOWNWARDS.

I understand that all straight flue pipes are male at one end and female at the other so what is the answer?

The distance from the top of the stove to the ceiling is about 1:80cm so does require at lease 2 pipes

Please enlighten me.

Barrington

Judjuing by the fittings supplied for my Godin Wood fired Cuisinier, he's missed out a double female adaptor which sits over the spigot on the fire and into which the pipe goes, 'poujoulat' supply black shiny or mat pipe in lots of lengths,

www.poujoulat.fr might work try. co.uk as well.

The female end should fit snugly over the corrugated end of the adaptor at ceiling level onto the solid dual wall tube back to the roof vent, not knowing any better I filled all joints between single wall pipes with fire cement, there is a telescopic tube available to aid fitting and of course removal of your fire for repair/renovation.

I've fitted 3 burners in our places, always with the flue male end up. Because 3 seperate stoves had male ends not female at the back/top. Only recently someone told me that they should be done the other way incase tar runs out the joints. Well we've never had any tar or anything running out of the joints and no condensation forming or leaking and see no reason to fit it any other way. Is it possible you had a rain running down the flue?