Removing Sealant

Joshua

Hi,

This is probably a question for Chancer or Glue Stick.  AKA " The chemical brothers"

Do you know of a product available in France that will remove Silicone Sealant. Whoever did my shower enclosures made a pigs ear of them and I need to remove it all and start again.

I've got most off with a sharp blade but its the residue thats causing the problem. I've brought the new sealant from the UK because once again its far more expensive here.

Should have got the remover then but !

Regards Joshua

More like the s(c)eptic sisters [;-)]

I have a tin of silicone eater in the UK that I bought from Screwfix I believe but I have yet to put it to the test, it may even be in my cave here, I will have a look.

I have always found that petrol does a very good job of rendering silicone into a gooey mess, usually when and where you least want it to.

Thanks Chancer,

I've tried petrol, from the lawnmower's tank ( can't cut grass when there's snow on the ground )

and it seems to get it off . It is a bit messy and I'm as high as a kite on the fumes. ( save me opening a bottle of red tonight )

I will wash off any residue tomorrow with soap and water and reseal it all

Thanks again, Joshua

Thanks Thunderhorse

Now that I know they have at the sheds I will try to work out which one is the remover. My "everyday" French will be tested !

No point asking for advice in the sheds, the assistants normally walk off and never come back or look at me like I've got two heads ( which last I counted I don't )

Thanks again , Joshua

Can't agree Joshua, in the sheds are numerous younger employees who although shy of speaking English, usually do so far better than us in their language and have always been helpful.

I would try and look it up for you but the cat is asleep on my catalogues (pun intended) and I and not going to disturb him

In the Mr Bricolage in Amiens they even put out a display with some flyers written in English explaining that some of their staff had benefitted from une formation in English and would be happy to answer your questions, they would be sporting a badge saying "I speak English!"

Well it was far too late to help me but it was great sport trying to find an employee who had one hidden under his lapel and asking him/her if they could help, turned out their English was pas terrible  but boy could they run [:D] [:-))]

[quote user="Théière"]

Can't agree Joshua, in the sheds are numerous younger employees who although shy of speaking English, usually do so far better than us in their language and have always been helpful.

I would try and look it up for you but the cat is asleep on my catalogues (pun intended) and I and not going to disturb him

[/quote]

Morning, I would agree about some people being shy of speaking English. I've lost count the times I've struggled with a long conversation in French only to be answered afterwards, by being spoken back to in Pretty good English. ( at least better than my French, after all I'm an old Cotton Head )

Regards Joshua