Gap between ceiling plasterboard and beams.

oldgit72

I need to fill in some smallish gaps between edges of ceiling plasterboards and horizontal main beams. I have fixed plasterboard to metal frame on a 30 degree sloping roof. The gaps at the edges exist because I had to cut the board slighlty smaller to get it in between the apex and mid point horizontal beams. I am thinking of filling the gaps which are around 1cm with finishing plaster using embedded mesh tape spanning the gap to prevent cracking/dislodging of the dried plaster. Has anyone else tried this? Is there a better way?

Thanks

A big gap can still lead to cracking as the wood expands/contracts. For small gaps, run down some acrylic sealant with a gun. Acrylic can be painted, but don't use silicone - paint doesn't like sticking.

For bigger gaps, get cheap cans of expanding foam and blow it in - not too much. Leave it a day or more, then pare off with a Stanley knife or fine pad saw. The foam will take a fine skin of filler if needed, but up there probably won't be noticable.

Easy.

I didnt have time to post earlier, I have the same situation with the purlins in my grenier and did pretty much what has been described, I reduced the depth of the gap with expanding foam (my bodging tool of choice) and then skimmed over with painters mate (sold as acrylic sealant here). Filler alone will crack and joint tape doesnt really help unless you are bridging a gap between plasterboards.

hi ok

Had the same problem doing mine .. I cut the boards and put them up in 2 pieces. You can buy a plane that puts a nice chamfer on the edge ( not expensive )   this can be then taped and filled  use   enduit pour joints  first and enduit pour bands for the last coat ..

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/PDR_0195.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/PDR_0196.jpg[/IMG]

Dave

I found that using a mortier adhesiv - as sold for sticking together, amongst other things, carreaux de platre - worked very well for filling larger gaps between plasterboard and beams. It certainly did up to 1 cm or perhaps a bit more, at a single pass. I happened to have some left and tried it. It sticks very nicely to the plasterboard (as it should) and to the wood as well. It is a bit coarser than a finishing plaster but you can always put that on top if you leave the surface a bit lower.

In my case it was putting up plasterboard between old beams that had buckled and warped out of line, and cutting plasterboard to fit closely was a nightmare. In the end, the bigger gaps ended up with the best finish, as the narrower ones were difficult to push any kind of filler into. With the bigger gaps you could be sure that there would be enough grip for nothing to fall out later.

There are pictures of the finished result somewhere or other (OK, for example 15th February) on my blog - link below.

Gosh, about the most boring picture I will ever post, but I suppose no advert is complete without the pack shot:

[IMG]http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss293/Vanman15/pack.jpg[/IMG]

It's just Knauf (good French product name) MA2 as you can see. It mixes up nice and stiff but can be smoothed fairly easily. And I think it comes from a proper builders merchant (maybe Chausson) rather then Mr Bric.

Offer up the high boards first then scribe them to follow the contour required and cut to match.

Affix in final postion.

Board out ceiling as per usual.

When you get to the bottom cut boards to fit up to the almost inevitable Montant /rail wall

Then plasterboard the wall after the ceiling board is affixed using a ordinary wood plane to shave the back edge and make a good joint.

Gap? what Gap?

You could of course gun in some acrylic at the top edge to allow for expansion and contraction in the disparate roof elements.