Wider-than-average stairs

thunderhorse

We've got used to, and much prefer, wider stairs. The current old staircase needs replacing, and is over a metre wide. I've searched t'internet, but found nothing other than standard widths of about 85cm.

Before I set to and commission a bespoke staircase, does anyone know where wide-tread stairs may be available - say up to a metre wide?

Cheers. [:)]

Anyone that makes made to measure staircases will be able to help you, I think the metier is called un escalisier but you will find them in les pages jaunes under Escaliers (fabrication, installation).

Be aware that the quoted width includes the limons and is always made 1cm undersize for fitting hence a standard 90cm staircase will have a treads width of between 82 and 84cms according to the thickness of the limons.

Good luck and make sue you are sitting down with an apero when you read the devi, - I have no choice but to make my own staircases.

I agree with Chancer, they are very expensive. Our French neighbours had their stairs made "sur-measure" nothing special & made from ash. They didn't get much change from 3000Euros. I bought rough oak timber & made our stairs myself. Bonne chance!!

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1914254/ShowPost.aspx

Postie

That site is fine for bannisters, balistrades and finishing touches but the tricky parts are the stringers (I couldnt remember the word in English this morning) and the winders for 1/4 or 1/2 turn staircases.

I dont actually think that a made to measure hardwood staircase actually costs any more in France, perhaps even less than in the UK, you also have the advantage of being able to use a local company and to check out their reputation.

Be aware that there are significant structural differences between UK and French staircases, a hardwood French one will usually be finished on the underside as well as the top surface, the UK one not normally so but will have glue blocks and wedges.

The normes are also different although a standard UK one nearly meets the requiremnt of 2 * Hauteur + 1 giron = 58-62 cms.

Chancer wrote:

"Be aware that there are significant structural differences between UK and French staircases, a hardwood French one will usually be finished on the underside as well as the top surface, the UK one not normally so but will have glue blocks and wedges."

And don't forget that the UK built one will come complete with built in squeaks and movement. Get a French one mate, no blocks or wedges because it will be built properly. [:D]

Its about 8 years ago I had to research this for a customer, I found a company in Italy that could make all sorts of staircase designs from modular contemporary to traditional and they had the most amazing CNC wood working machines for producing them at very realistic prices so have a search on the web unless you prefer to keep it local. Sorry I have no information any more (did look but it was a while ago) they also had english speaking staff to help.

Good luck

[quote user="NickP"]

And don't forget that the UK built one will come complete with built in squeaks and movement. Get a French one mate, no blocks or wedges because it will be built properly. [:D]

[/quote]

I agree that it will initially be built to much finer tolerances however once the wood shrinks the squeaks appear, I dont think that I have ever seen a French one that doesnt, some have quite alarming movement, at least with a UK type design one can take up the slack although very few people ever do.

I make mine to the French pattern as I can work to fine limits and make pretty tight joints.

A lot of French stairmakers have gone out of business like many traditional skills, those that remain and flourish usually have lready invested in CadCam and CNC machinery to produce the stringers and winders even the most unlikely 100 year old village workshop is likely to have upgraded if it continues to trade.

I have one staircase more to make and cant wait to get to the stage when I can launch into it, finish carpentry is one of the few things on this chantier naval that I actually enjoy doing, finding the wood for a staircase has been and still is very challenging, the nearest sawmill is over 100K's away, not many years ago I could have had my choice of several within a 5km radius.

Are the jigs adjustable for different risers and goings?

I ask because I aways knock up my own from scraps fo wood when starting each job, a purpose made one if it can withstand being bashed around might take up less space than my collection.

Well I'm not trying to top you Chancer, but if you are ever in St Jacques, I will show you a non squeaky stair case. Ours was built 40 years ago out of reclaimed oak from an old church, so the age of the wood is anybodies guess. The spindles are 3X2's, the newel posts are 6X6's, the outside stringers are 12X4's and the  handrails are 4X3 1/4's, every thing is nailed together except the inside (wall)  stringer which is screwed to the walls. Not a wedge anywhere, a thing of utter beauty and a tribute to the Carpenter who built it. [:)]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Chancer"]

Are the jigs adjustable for different risers and goings?

I ask because I aways knock up my own from scraps fo wood when starting each job, a purpose made one if it can withstand being bashed around might take up less space than my collection.

[/quote]

They are but the guys who made the stairs for our UK loft conversion also made new jigs for each job. Banister and stair rules are in 'Renover ou Contruire Sa Mason' and are about two pages long.

Worth having a chat with the locals, my charpentre came recommended to fix my shutters, and we had a conversation about my old stairs being beautiful but rotten and three treads too short (cause I had lifted the floor up). I explained I was worried that a new one wouldn't fit because the turn was made to fit the walls (about 100degrees). He extended and rebuilt it on my drive then refitted it all within a week ; the original was a bit of a mongrel with ash treads, pine risers, cherry hand rail and possibly stringers, all dark stained. We bought the wood from the local wood yard, seasoned planks complete with bark[:)] the finished job costing less than four figures and no creaks. He was an english guy who was a cabinet maker and loved a challenge; you may find that a replacement is not the best thing, plus it counts for something to retain the original. I'm not sure he does back of beyond though[:)].

[quote user="thunderhorse"]I would have liked to have kept the old massive staircase, but . . . It's means feet are splayed sideways coming down... [:(] [/quote]

Yes but how many years have feet come down those stairs and who were they . . . and how did they manage; when I go up and down mine I know that's been happening for deux cents années[:P]

[quote user="Chancer"]

You should try what people in the know do on a boat, come down the stairs backwards. [;-)]

[/quote]

Depends on the boat. Mine was a carrier... I can shin up and down no problem, but quite a number of females have difficulty coming down and consequently return to earth backwards. Often awkward. So SWMBO has issued an edict... Get rid.

I remember a friend who had a staircase which was very steep.  It had a bizarre arrangement whereby one side of each tread was cut out - a cut out to left and then to right, alternating step by step - it really did make coming down forwards a doddle - a simple but effective way of getting around this problem.  I've never seen the like since but I thought it was really clever at the time!