What type of well pump? - Advice please.

brodie19

I am currently renovating the property and wish to make use of the free water within the well in the garden. Probable uses are filing our small swimming pool and watering 3 acres of horse paddock.

The well shaft is round and has a one metre diameter. The shaft is exactly 24 metres deep to the water surface and the depth of the water is just over one metre. A neighbour has a same depth of well and I estimate the size of the reservoir to be at least half a km wide. The bottom of the well is silt and sand.

Can anyone advise on the type of pump I would require to use from time to time. There is an outdoor electric supply several metres from the well.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

many thanks.

A multi stage submersible pump as surface pumps usually on draw 7 m max.

Please have the water tested for mineral/metal, bacterial inc coliforms and phosphates/nitrates before you consider using it in a swimming pool. Filling your pool with tap water (a known quality) is not really that expensive considering the problems you may encounter not to mention cost of metal sequestrants, phosphate/nitrate reducers and killing off bacteria some of which are stubborn and won't want to be killed easily.  

[quote user="brodie19"]Good advice Theiere, yes I will use the mains supply to fill up the pool. I worked out there is only 36 cubic metres of water, so that is less than 40 Euros.... very little for peace of mind.[/quote]

Most consumption from a water main in fact normally involves being billed TWICE; once for the potable water registering on the meter and secondly for the assainissement of the same quantity of water. In many areas the second charge is actually greater. In effect watering the garden involves a double whammy.

[quote user="thunderhorse"]Our well is 30m deep to the water surface. Seems to me it'll be cheaper to use the tap rather than invest in expensive pump equipment...
[/quote]

Whilst 30 m is not particularly deep, a common depth in areas underlain by jurassic limestone, it does mean that for simplicity the pump is under the water level at the bottom of the well.

A few lengths of 1" black pipe attached to steel cable with a small submersible pump at the end is not excessive.  

Its not so much the filing of the pool (which I will now NOT do following advice on this forum) but for watering the 3 acres of paddocks. We have a fosse septique so sewerage costs are not a factor. Probably in the longer term a suitable well pump will pay for itself.

What about a wind driven water pump, we have a french made osais pump and when there is wind we have a continous supplyof water into a small lake.if exceptional winds are forcast then the blade and rotor blade are brought together and it stops turning. it is much more friendly than electrical or petrol driven pump. to get to there web site use a french based search engine otherwise you are on the site for austrailian well pumps.

Agreed. In an Australian pump, the rotor goes round ANTICLOCKWISE whereas a French pump (NF marked) rotates CLOCKWISE. Furthermore an Oz pump will pump in gallons (possibly backwards), and for France you need one that pumps litres. It's something to do with the Code Napoleon. Or something.

[quote user="Gin62"]What about a wind driven water pump, we have a french made osais pump and when there is wind we have a continous supplyof water into a small lake.if exceptional winds are forcast then the blade and rotor blade are brought together and it stops turning. it is much more friendly than electrical or petrol driven pump. to get to there web site use a french based search engine otherwise you are on the site for austrailian well pumps.[/quote]

There's nothing unfriendly about my submerged electrical pump: the worst that can be said about it is that it keeps itself to itself, sitting quietly at the bottom of the well, unlike certain others who stand in the middle of the garden waving their arms about all day !

p