Because Ovens and Extractors in England are cheaper!

nemltd

Hi,

Having decided to purchase an Ikea kitchen in France we have found that the 'electromanagers' are quite a bit more expensive, around £700 (c800 euros). Please does anybody know if we can buy the appliances in England and ask our sparky to fit them in the French kitchen.

I'm thinking.............Warranty? Compatibility? Politics? or is it just very simple!, save the money!

Cordialements et bonsoir peeps.

Tony

Last year we bought a complete kitchen from Ikea in UK, including fridge/freezer, microwave, oven and dishwasher, and transported all of it down to Herault. We calculated we saved around £1000 at the then current rate of exchange.

I fitted all the electrical appliances myself (not difficult) and as they were all made by Whirlpool for Ikea I registered them on the Whirlpool France web site and the guarantees are now applicable here in France.

Thanks Ceejay

Did you change the plugs or use adaptors, and was the fridge/freezer ok when you set it up? I know they don't like travelling.

I don't suppose you found any cheap granite worktop installers in France, we are in the Gers (32)

Cordialements

Tony

hi

we bought free standing oak units sold in the uk but made in vietnam out of old oak.  One has a marble top others wood, I cut a hole in one and dropped the sink in.  We now have an oak kitchen which is fully removable for a ridiculously low price.  Buy one from Ikea by all means, we prefer wood.   I also bought a gas Stoves range cooker (in UK) and fitted it myself, again a bargain price off ebay uk.

[quote user="nemltd"]

Thanks Ceejay

Did you change the plugs or use adaptors, and was the fridge/freezer ok when you set it up? I know they don't like travelling.

I don't suppose you found any cheap granite worktop installers in France, we are in the Gers (32)

Cordialements

Tony

[/quote]

Change the plugs, do not rely on adaptors. We bought  our fridges and freezers from the UK no problems, I believe that they do not like being transported laying on their backs so as long as they are standing up right you should be OK. After all they get delivered to the shops in trucks.

I dont know if French equivalents are rated differently ie a 3kw oven may not be any use particularly on a radial which may have washing machine tumble drier and kettle on it.

I think all european stuff is double insulated but I guess you would want to know this.

Not sure how UK appliances site with French Insurance and whether a NF? mark is required.

If you shop around you may find French appliances aren't massively dearer our bottled gas cooker was positively cheap and we are tempted to get one for our place in the UK.

Yes, we changed all the plugs, as has been said, do not use adaptors. Also most of the appliances have to have their own circuit here in France. Bear in mind the tableau disjoncteurs for, in particular, washing machine, dishwasher needs to be of the A type, not AC. Also we put the induction hob and oven on the same type.

We also transported all the appliance on their backs!!!! But after fitting they all work OK. Whirlpool have confirmed that all their appliances conform to Normes here in France and are happy to guarantee them.

The thing about fridges and freezers and aircon units is that the piping contains a mixture of gas and liquid, the former is compressible by the pump, the latter is not. If you transport them upright they are fine, -  the length of time it takes to change the plug and unpack all the shelves etc is sufficient for the coolant to settle in the pipes. If transported on their backs, fronts, or sides you need to allow some time for the liquid/vapor arrangement to sort itself out. 24 hours standing the right way up is usually what's recommended, but I notice from the instructions with my latest (AA-rated) fridge, it said it would be OK to turn on after 2 hours, so maybe we're just being over-cautious.

p

• 5 months later...

We looked at hobs in IKEA both in France and the UK and, is IKEA the only company where 'rip off Britain' is not always true.

Most of the hobs were exactly the same model number.

Will admit we ended buying an Induction hob complete with a set of saucepans from B&Q in one of their clearances - cost £250 and the cheapest I could find the model on the Internet was £450.

Paul

At risk of being shot down,  or worse! There are areas of France where the locals are getting just a little bit fed up with their area being taken over by 'foriners' in droves. BUT they tried hard to be welcoming - partly because they realised these newcomers kept the local shops going, gave work to local artisans and bought goods and furniture in the area. Now it is being defo noticed that this is changing - and that many are now buying a large proportion of their shopping on the net from 'back home' and having it delivered - be it food, white goods, kitchens sinks, etc - and that often these come with artisans from 'back there' too (with all that entails re taxes, social costs, etc). Things are a-stirring - you do of course do what you like - but perhaps be aware that it may affect your own relationships with the locals- and relationships in general in France. I don't think the French have truly cottoned on to the extent of this phenomenon, which has of course vastly increased with the exchange rate- but when they do, as they are suffering from 'la crise' too - it will be interesting.

[quote user="Swissie"]  shopping on the net  . . . .
French have truly cottoned on to the extent of this phenomenon, which has of course vastly increased with the exchange rate- but when they do, as they are suffering from 'la crise' too - it will be interesting. [/quote]

Hope I've quoted you not too much out of context Swissie, Certainly France can't have it both ways, This is Europe, and there is a free trade agreement, which should be competitive.

Worse things are abroad I notice, having got Germany & IMF to support Greece, Greece Government bonds value improved,
so what did France do? they sold them . . . ;
recently amongst other French acquisitions of British and International companies, 'International Powers' positive results were completely overshadowed by a French reverse takeover announcement. GDF, Europe’s second largest utility company, is to inject its GDF Suez Energy International business into International Power for a 70% acquisition, giving it control and probably within a few years completely ownership. A move to a 75pc control share stake by GDF could see a de-listing of the company. So it's not just the Brits buying abroad.

[quote user="Swissie"]At risk of being shot down,  or worse! There are areas of France where the locals are getting just a little bit fed up with their area being taken over by 'foriners' in droves. BUT they tried hard to be welcoming - partly because they realised these newcomers kept the local shops going, gave work to local artisans and bought goods and furniture in the area. Now it is being defo noticed that this is changing - and that many are now buying a large proportion of their shopping on the net from 'back home' and having it delivered - be it food, white goods, kitchens sinks, etc - and that often these come with artisans from 'back there' too (with all that entails re taxes, social costs, etc). Things are a-stirring - you do of course do what you like - but perhaps be aware that it may affect your own relationships with the locals- and relationships in general in France. I don't think the French have truly cottoned on to the extent of this phenomenon, which has of course vastly increased with the exchange rate- but when they do, as they are suffering from 'la crise' too - it will be interesting.

[/quote]

Swissie I'm really surprised at your reply... are you really saying that French people who live on the Belgium border would never dream of nipping over to get a cheaper car?  Or that those living close to Germany would never dream of cross border working?  Or no french person would dream of driving across to Spain for cheap cigs/booze/petrol?  Or that there isn't a french person around that has never asked a brit to buy something for them from the UK as it's cheaper? 

Are you also saying that my friends and neighbours here are only welcoming because they have to try really hard and that if I dont buy everything locally then they'll stop liking me?

Are you also saying that there is no French person around that asks themselves why are things so much cheaper elsewhere in europe?  Or decided to search the internet themselves for cheaper goods?

I really dont want to sound rude (honest) ... but I found your comments a little unfair to both the english and the french

I noticed your in the Gers, when we lived there we saw so lovely solid wood free standing kitchens (made in far east) but old french styling, unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shop which is on the outskirts of Auch. If you go past the hospital and past the fiat garage on the left there are some shed shop a bit further on on the left with what I think was a leader Price and it's near to it. There's a cheap fabric shop and then the furniture shop. I was really impressed with them as they'd look great in old houses.

All a bit vague but I hope it helps!

[quote user="Swissie"]At risk of being shot down,  or worse! There are areas of France where the locals are getting just a little bit fed up with their area being taken over by 'foriners' in droves. BUT they tried hard to be welcoming - partly because they realised these newcomers kept the local shops going, gave work to local artisans and bought goods and furniture in the area. Now it is being defo noticed that this is changing - and that many are now buying a large proportion of their shopping on the net from 'back home' and having it delivered - be it food, white goods, kitchens sinks, etc - and that often these come with artisans from 'back there' too (with all that entails re taxes, social costs, etc). Things are a-stirring - you do of course do what you like - but perhaps be aware that it may affect your own relationships with the locals- and relationships in general in France. I don't think the French have truly cottoned on to the extent of this phenomenon, which has of course vastly increased with the exchange rate- but when they do, as they are suffering from 'la crise' too - it will be interesting.

[/quote]

What utter nonsense!

For example:

"Earlier this year, the British American Tobacco

company estimated that more than one in five of all cigarettes smoked in

France was bought abroad.
Much the same problem exists in Germany,

which has very cheap tobacco neighbours in Poland and the Czech

Republic. There is a growing trade in smuggled cigarettes in Europe and

an equally illegal growth of sales over the internet. But many French

and German smokers have discovered the pleasures of perfectly legal, or

almost legal, cigarette tourism.

"They come to

the shops in Belgium, not just from Dunkirk and Lille but from as far

south as Paris and Rouen," Mr Falewee said. "Legally under EU law they

are allowed only five cartons of 200 cigarettes each per car. Of course,

they often buy far, far more than that. The Belgian shops do nothing to

limit their purchases."

See Here:

Vast numbers of French citizens living in the North trot to Belgium for their EU conforming cars etc. Since they are cheaper. And enjoy a global warranty.

French shoppers throng Canterbury and other Kentish towns and even London's West End and have done, particularly as the Euro bought far more in the past two or so years.

In my experience, French, Dutch and German ex pats living in England invariably import many domestic appliances with familiar names.

As for the rest, this must have come from the Bleeding Hearts Gazette, or the Whingers Weekly.

It is rather perverse: Odile AKA Swissie supports mass immigration to Britain and defends it vociferously.

It is thus hugely disingenuous to even suggest the French don't like the same or the implication it's unfair or unreasonable.

Hi Nena

Not sure if you meant to post me (nemltd)?

Anyway, we done a fair bit of homework before deciding to buy our kitchen, including the posts on here. We considered the following...............

1. Price in the UK against France
  2. Warranty/Guarantee implications
  3. Logistics/Delivery
  4. Fitting/DIY installation
  5. TVA Benefits i.e. reduced rate to 5.5%
  6. Technical UK/French electrics
  7. Sellers/Retailers

1. Price is a tad more in France on the Electrical appliances, not all of them though. We are talking around £400 overall, Exchange rate was pretty poor in June, around 95p to buy a euro. Double Oven, Microwave, Dishwasher, Induction Hob and Fridge/Freezer. Our washing machine isn't included, not in the kitchen. I guess the exchange is better now though.

2. Although various manufacturers do boast an EU guarantee, it sounded easier to buy in France so anybody working on them would understand everything, language, cables, plugs, receipts and documents. I wouldn't like to buy a washing machine in LeClerc, for instance, and then try getting help under guarantee if it was installed in my house in Hampshire!

3. Delivery in France is easier, fact. I don't care how big your van is and how many cousins you have to help! Our kitchen was nearly 300 separate items!

4. Depends on the individual. I mean, I can put up a shelf, but a kitchen? Dedicated circuits, French regulations, guarantees etc AND, consider N0.5...

5. If you have your kitchen Supplied, Delivered and Fitted by the same company, you will benefit from the reduced rate of TVA. That is a saving of 14.1%. You have to claim it back afterwards, ours amounted to 1500.00 euros returned to us.

6. I would recommend buying in France not on technical reasons alone but mainly the convenience factor. French guarantee, French Tradesmen. No added problems of foreign bought goods i.e. the UK.

7. For us it was Ikea. We liked the convenience of narrowing down our likes and dislikes in the UK. Being able to touch and feel the components in the UK was a bonus. Get home from Ikea Southampton and compare prices on the internet with Ikea Toulouse, easy. I know Ikea seems to be in or out of favour at the moment, depending who you talk to. And yes, there is no such thing as a 'quick' trip there either, but it was the easiest solution, for us. Complete on line planning tool was ideal, just got the measurements from the house in France and brought them home (if you log on to the French version, it works when you get to Toulouse, without dropping bits off the plan!).

Of course if you live in France then it could be different, but most things above are still valid.

Bon chance

nemltd

[/quote]

Interesting rant.

We bought furniture in the UK and brought it over. We did go round the French stores thinking 'we should buy in France'. However, absolutely nothing was to our taste. So what should we do - buy something that we will detest or buy something we like and bring it over?

We bring very little food over - mainly to cook Curry - only know of one Indian restaurant and that is a two hour drive away.

And yes, we did bring over a kitchen - why? Because the French are being ripped off with the cost of kitchens. You can get cheapish at Brico Depot but......

Plus, not everyone employs tradesmen on the 'black'. Admittedly some might employ fully registered builders who originate from their country but that probably has more to do with language.

Let us also look at this another way. All people in the UK should only buy cars that have been produced in the UK - sadly all the main manufacturers are foreign owned but at least if they are produced in the UK they have provided work for UK citizens. So no more buying Citroen, Peugeot and Renault.

I also presume that French industry does not seek out the cheapest country from which to buy items - how many white goods sold in France are manufactured in France?

If the French do take the attitude that you are claiming they are starting to take then people will move back to their original country, meaning that the petrol, food and other items that they used to buy will not be bought - the French only want new houses not the type that the French have enthusiastically flogged Johhny Foreigner - so France will just be occupied by the French with a lot of empty or very under used property.

Perhaps in the UK we should stop French companies owning companies that supply the British like EDF.

Tell you what, lets do away with the EC, we will go back to isolated countries and take it from there.

Paul

Gluestick, where on earth have I been vociferously encouraging mass immigration into Britain?

Rose, of course I am not saying your French friends will desert you if you buy anything British. All I am saying is that if the trend to buy an ever increasing amount of food, clothes, white goods and other services on the internet and shipping over, and bring whole kitchens, bathrooms + artisans over - there is a great risk that some French people will begin to notice, and not like it very much, especially when feeling the pinch themselves. Since we moved here, we have tried to use the local shops regularly, and have use local artisans to help with renovations- and I am sure it has helped us fit in very easily. However, we are guilty as charged, and as we live right on the border, do make regular forays into France to our nearest supermarket.

I am sure that if we did all our shopping t'other side, and used French goods and artisans - or if we kept returning from the UK with a big van, it would be noticed. Here we are very much on our own as Brits. I imagine that in areas where British people are in France in large numbers, it might be more noticeable. Until recently, it was the Dutch which were not liked very much as they imported everything and hardly bought anything locally.

PaulT - it definitely was not a rant - but an observation- and from discussing this with locals and French friends in various areas of France.

[quote user="Swissie"]Gluestick, where on earth have I been vociferously encouraging mass immigration into Britain? [/quote]

If you remember, you waxed lyrically concerning Asian migration to Leicester and elsewhere.

When I posted stats demonstrating how immigrants presented with far higher unemployment levels, you were strangely silent......... And those stats were culled from Leicester city council's own website!

The core fact was, of course, that old mill towns died: and employment died with them.

Yet, for some reason, you argued the reverse.

Whereas the vast majority of Brits who have migrated to France or purchased holiday homes, have continually injected cash into the French economy: not least, perhaps, by buying up older French properties (As has already been stated), which the French themselves do not want, eating out, buying food and many other services: and, despite your negative comments, patronising a raft of brico sheds and local merchants.

If the French don't like this, then one can only suggest they campaign, rather vigorously, to persuade their politicians to leave the EU: and additionally, sell off the numbers of UK utility companies they own, stop exporting vast quantities of French produce and goods to England, duty free and finally ruin their agri-industries, once CAP subsidies are finally withdrawn.

In my part of France, I have yet to experience such negative and unwelcoming comments from my French friends.

All I can conclude is you have rather strange and confused friends.............

Swissie - I do understand what your saying and I'm not wanting to hijack this thread (sorry OP)  but I do feel that, if this problem does exist, then the French must wake up to the internet wide world where goods can be sourced and purchased at a fraction of the price they can be purchased in France. 

I say 'if it does exist' only because I really haven't found the same problems... here are few recent examples...

• One of our neighbours asked us for some advise on his internet selling business... he's keen to attract UK customers... he buys products from north africa and sells them on-line... he is a keen internet shopper and he always seeks a bargain and tell us when he find a useful site
  • Another neighbour was very interested in our polytunnel (which we bought and shipped from the UK) not only was he really impressed by the quality he was blown away when we told him how much we paid... so much so that if he decides to buy one, he'll get us to order it for him from the same supplier.
  • The same neighbours mother-in-law (who often comes down on a sunday afternoon for tea and cake) was talking about the prices of food in the shops and how expensive things are... We talked about prices in Tesco's compared to say Carrefour... we told her that a couple of time a year we did a big shop for certain foods (like dried fruit for cakes) she was amazed at the price difference and told us she would do the same if she was us.
  • I recently bought some playmobil for my son on-line... the parcel couldn't be delivered so I collected it from the village post office... the lady behind the counter asked what it was so I explained... her daughter had been looking for some too so I told her what we had purchased and the cost... she asked for the website address and said she would be buying hers on-line from now on
  • The lady that runs the after-school club asked about a necklace I had... it was from M&S... she asked if she could get one so I gave her the website address and she said she would look... she did know about M&S so maybe this helped?

• Another mum at my son's rugby club asked if we had any english films that her and her daughter could borrow as they are both learning english and keen to watch the UK versions... we loaned them a dozen films and she asked how we could afford to buy so many... I told her to look on a few UK websites as they were half the price of french versions... and she did... and very happy she was too.  (I would add that I do try to buy new releases in France as they are avaiable in both french and english and we find it useful for our language learning)

• My son's best friend goes off every few months with his parents for their day trip to spain where they stock up on some foods, alcohol and cigerettes as they say it is so much cheaper over the border (the three hour plus drive doesn't seem to put them off as they say fuel is cheaper too so they fill up before the come back)

From what we've found our neighbours are more than happy with new-comers if they are friendly, respectful and attempt to learn the language and pay their dues/taxes... we've been told that people like us as we make a big effort to learn/speak French... (we bought our house from another english family who never did) ... this really does seem to be a big issue.

We buy lots of things locally... go to the supermarket every week, buy our wood locally, get our car serviced in our local garage, go to the local market most weeks, use the local restaurant, go to the local garden centre... and so on... but we also do a lot of shopping on-line and we research major purchases to ensure we get good value for money... I would suspect that most folks do much the same and only a small few choose to buy everything in.

I guess I'm saying two things... France has to adapt to a global shopping basket and I'm not sure our french friend and neighbours act as you mention... and I'm worried that maybe this kind of statement maybe stereotyping or even adding fuel to flames that perhaps just hearsay... or maybe we're just lucky with our neighbours? 

And... talking of kitchens... love the photos!  we have the same ikea kitchen and are very happy with it (although we bought our from Ikea in Bordeaux if we had to buy another I would buy from the UK and get it shipped) [Www]

EDIT - sorry just re-read this and realised it's a bit long, didn't mean to go on so much Swissie [kiss]

Oh dear Gluestick, I can assure you my friends are not confused at all- a great bunch really.

Leicester is actually a fascinating immigration City. Those who came in the 70s from Uganda brought huge knowledge and experience with them. They restored parts of the inner Victorian working-class areas which were falling down - then moved out to more salubrious areas. Many are now very well-off- and own some of the largest properties in the middle-class suburbs- doctors, surgeons, lawyers and business men. As a teacher, I must say teaching their children was a joy - hard-working, motivated, well supported by parents and aspirational. They found a way of being totally integrated and at the same time keeping their culture, and that was a joy to see. I am not naive BTW - there are problems- but most of the second and third generation Asians are well-educated,  well employed and sadly, much more integrated than some groups of a rising indigenous 'underclass', poorly educated, with no ambition and practically unemployable in a modern world.

Rose thanks for your post. And I agree with most of what you say. We all buy bits from 'back home' and it is very normal. What concerns me, is that some Brits in France are now buying not 'some' things, but 'most things, from the UK, including a large percentage of their daily foodstuff. Most French people have not yet cottoned on to this - and I do worry that when they do, some might react negatively. I hope I am wrong- but I do think we as 'immigrants' should perhaps be aware of this. I discussed this with French and Swiss friends following a thread on another Forum re. buying most foodstuff from UK on the net and having it shipped over by agents and collecting from set points. I just asked them what they thought. They were  a/ very surprised that it goes on  b/ felt it was not conducive to good relationships. If the locals feel under pressure from 'la crise' and that the Brits no longer patronise the local shops and artisans, then I do understand they may feel a bit aggrieved. I respect your comments and hope you can perhaps mine as sincere.

[quote user="Swissie"]......... - and that many are now buying a large proportion of their shopping on the net from 'back home' and having it delivered - be it food, white goods, kitchens sinks, etc - and that often these come with artisans from 'back there' too (with all that entails re taxes, social costs, etc). Things are a-stirring - you do of course do what you like - but perhaps be aware that it may affect your own relationships with the locals- and relationships in general in France.

[/quote]

Obviously you have loads of money and don't care about saving a few bob! This happens everywhere - remember THIS Most of our French friends will jump at the chance to save money, one even takes a cool box with them to Spain to bring back butter, of all things, because it is cheaper. If there is a stirring where you live it is probably you with the spoon!

Swissie, do I detect a great deal of backpeddling?

Also when does 'some things' become 'most things'?

I presume that you are comfortable financially.

A while back someone posted on here, when Sterling was sliding against the Euro, that when they calculated the affordability they had been cautious and used a worse case scenario of 1.3 euros to the pound and found it was. On a personal note, when we bought there were nearly 1.5 euros to the pound and food etc was cheaper than the UK.

Well, they have been very close to parity and certainly when it comes to non-commercial transactions there was a period when it required more number of pounds to get a lesser number of Euros.

Ex-pat Brits have been returning to the UK because they cannot afford to remain living in France.

There must be some, even with the pound at a bout 1.2 struggling. Should they say 'no we will go hungry and not heat the house so that we shop in France' or should they seek out the cheapest way of buying things? I think the latter will prevail.

And do we not naturally seek out the cheapest options? Do you in France go in to a shop and just buy, say, a fridge (probably made in Italy where most of the money will go or perhaps now China) and say I will take it or do you go from shop to shop, even get on the Internet to find the cheapest price? If you do the former then you are very financially comfortable and, if I may say so, a little foolish with your money. And what of the shop with the high price - are they not ripping off the people?

I did see on a programme that there are vans going from the UK delivering food to people - taking in to account the cost of transportation then the food must be a great deal cheaper in the UK than in France (something we have seen). I dare say the van operators would be delighted to also deliver to the French.

And remember putting people off buying in France will hurt in other ways. Properties will not sell, so there will not be that money coming in to the country. Taxes will not be paid on house purchases and employment will be lost (from what I read already has) because Immos will cease trading.

As for people using tradesmen from their own country (wrong if it is on the black) having read some of the horror stories of trying to get French artisans to do work or to finish work - do they do the same with French people? -perhaps the non-French artisans are more reliable as well as easier to converse with technically.

And what happens when (fingers crossed) the pound buys 1.5 euros? People will be shopping in French stores.

But please tell the French to stop coming over to Dover etc on shopping sprees or going over to Spain.

In the UK we need to tell people, when Sterling recovers, not to go over in their droves to Calais etc to shop.

PULL THE DRAWBRIDGE UP

Paul

Those who can, will.  That's to say, people who have access to the internet, the help of good-natured friends, etc. and can source goods cheaper will do exactly that.

When money's tight, there's no question but that you try to buy where it's best value for money.  No sense in throwing money away, that's for sure.

When the 20% VAT rate kicks in in the UK and, if the sterling exchange rate holds up, the differentials between shopping in the UK and in France would lessen and then people might be less inclined to import as much as possible from the UK.

It's Money talks at the end of the day!  There might be those where the bit of saving is not worth the hassle to them and there might be those who buy locally and are blissfully unaware that they could buy cheaper elsewhere.  But, these days, people are pretty shrewd (and pretty hard up as well) and they'd be foolish not to look after their own money whilst they still have any left!

Never ashamed of backpedalling if I feel I've upset anybody or perhaps not made myself clear- or misread the situation. Always prepared to apologize and listen too, and even change my mind if I am convinced that I should.

The 'some' to 'most' comes from another Forum, where it was made clear that 'some' but an increasing number of Brits in France, are now buying a large proportion (most) of their food, goods, etc, from UK and having it shipped over. I can understand that the value of the £ has really affected many (including us I can tell you - but yes,  we are very lucky that having bought in an area where property values are very low - we can 'take it' without struggling, and I know we are very lucky) - but again, I am just concerned that this increased buying in UK and importing MAY have an effect on relations should it continue or get even more prevalent. Here it is not a problem - there are no other Brits. I have NO axe to grind, no personal interest or bitterness in this 'debate' - but I DO talk to a lot of French people in various areas, and can feel the tide a'changing.

As said before I hope I am wrong. Have none of you noticed how the Dutch are resented for bringing everything and the kitchen sink with them- and not spending any money in the area? Of course, Money talks Sweet, but locals feeling the pinch and struggling to make ends meet (small shops, artisans, etc - who are also pretty hard up in the present climate) might also become a tad more sensitive - and one needs to take that on board, perhaps. Up to you, each to their own - et bonne chance.