British pipes v French pipes

spantik

I am new to France and wanting to take an English bathroom out there to fit in our chalet in 05 (Haute Alpes).  I understand that French pipes are 10,12,14,16mm etc and UK are typically 15 and 22mm - correct?  Is this going to pose a problem to our English plumber who is coming out with us to do the job?  What are the usual ways of solving the connections & what essential bits should he take out with him? 

[quote user="spantik"]What are the usual ways of solving the connections & what essential bits should he take out with him? 
[/quote]

Buy french fittings & pipe. BSP threads are the same although marked in a different way and if you use UK fittings and something goes wrong you'll have a difficult time fixing it.

I have been thinking about this and as I have a shedload (Literally) of UK spec tube and fittings I am tempted to install my Quebb stove and back boiler in a conventional vented fashion using UK fittings but have the reest of the system inb French sizes...That way I have a stand alone and removeable system.......right down to the pressure regulator which can be tee-ed of the incoming main.

I did the first of my flats with french pipe and fitings but the looking bcak the cost was horrendous, I didnt really realise at the time as the pound was strong but with at least 6 more to do I did some detailed costings and realised that even a cretin would come to the same decision.

I have done the first two very economically in UK pipe, an unexpected bonus was the ease at which it an be bent without having to sod around annealing it and the massive price difference of fittings like tap nuts, trombones, clarinets, insulation etc.

After realising that 15mm by 0.7 thk tube is a recommended size listed on EN1058 (which is the mark carried on all the French pipe sizes) I realised that all the talk about insurers refusing to pay out was just hot air, I carry lots of spares and accept that if there were to be a problem whilst I am not here it may perplex a French plumber, he will have the means at least if not the will or wit to carry out a repair.

[quote user="spantik"]I am new to France and wanting to take an English bathroom out there to fit in our chalet in 05 (Haute Alpes).  I understand that French pipes are 10,12,14,16mm etc and UK are typically 15 and 22mm - correct?  Is this going to pose a problem to our English plumber who is coming out with us to do the job?  What are the usual ways of solving the connections & what essential bits should he take out with him? 

[/quote]Off to a good start then, employing a British plumber on the black [Www]

A couple of words of caution: Mind the neighbours or local Artisans don't shop you and watch over him very carefully because if he injures himself in your employ you could find yourself supporting him for the rest of his life. If the place catches fire your insurance will walk away too. Remember, this is France not UK.

I'm not saying it doesn't go on all  the time because we all know that it does, just making you aware of possible consequences - but maybe you know already.

Bonne chance.