Advice/Opinions Please

londoneye

We have a house with a set of stairs to top floor which we have to climb 'monkey fashion' - going up forwards, coming down backwards. We are used to it and to be honest it doesn't bother us.

Before anyone mentions it, yes I am aware they are probably totally non-regulation/illegal, whatever, and am not slightly bothered by it (!!!)

Question, we need to change them because we are aware that as and when we come to sell in future they will not be acceptable to everyone (oh OK then make that ANYONE !), what would you prefer

spiral staircase or spacesaver (ie alternating tread stairs)?

And does anyone know where I can get these at reasonable price in France?

We had such a thing in our house in the UK.  For sure it did put people off when we were selling (they remarked on it a lot) but we were lucky in that the market was buoyant at the time so it didn't stop us getting our asking price.

Personally I hate spirals, and I think they are much harder for moving large objects up and down so reckon the spacesavers (which a friend of mine had) are much better.  Although I know that spirals look rather better and are somewhat trendier! Being 100% dot and carry these days, personally I can't actually climb either very easily!

I know who'd make you a spacesaver but they certainly are not cheap.

I wouldn't have a spiral stair; they take up more room (footprint) than you at first imagine, and as pointed out already it's difficult to get stuff up and down them.

LaPeyre do a beech offset tread staircase which looks quite nice, and a pine one which has a slightly differnt type of tread but is less than half the price.

www.lapeyre.fr  look under "escaliers" then "les echelles de meunier".

Sid

Thanks all.

I hate spirals as well but wondered if it was just me. I have never actually seen an alternating tread staircase (except in pictures of course) so don't know how easy they are to get used to, but my view is that they cannot be more off-putting that the stairs we currently have.

When our neighbours come round for a drink they normally have to 'go back to our house to check on something' at least two or three times a night !!

I found some pine ones in UK for £200.00 which look really nice (well, for the price)but all of the ones I have seen in France are 600 euros or more which seems a bit (pardon the pun) steep!

Might have to investigate transporting ones over from UK.

[quote user="londoneye"]Thanks all. ....(edited quote)....but all of the ones I have seen in France are 600 euros or more....[/quote]

You didn't find the LaPeyre one then? 469€. Worth looking at and it'll be on display in the showroom. I find their stuff very good, better than the Brico places but still not too expensive.

Sid

Hi Sid

No I didn't find the Lapeyre one I will have another look.

We have always been happy with their stuff, especially the made to measure windows we had (necessity rather than personal choice), which were very good quality and really not that expensive.

Will look again, thanks.

[quote user="londoneye"]Hi Sid

No I didn't find the Lapeyre one I will have another look.

We have always been happy with their stuff, especially the made to measure windows we had (necessity rather than personal choice), which were very good quality and really not that expensive.

Will look again, thanks.[/quote]

Why not just browse their catalogue HERE

Lapeyre are good but not made to measure / opening. albeith the French aren't as stuffy about stairs as the UK Building regs it's still good practice to have matching stair rise and going.

If forming a new opening then a way to get best advantage in a tight space is often to  have a 'returning stair'

If forming a new opening and its possible to install 'in line' with chamber joists ...even better as it will only usually be one or two joists affected.

Castorama do a range of them like this

http://www.castorama.fr/store/Escalier-espace-reduit-Karina-blanc-clair-PRDm960984.html?navAction=jump&categoryId=&sortByValue=&isSearchResult=true

I'm pretty sure I've seen them in Leroy Merlin and Brico Depot too.

I have the same headspace problem as the OP.  Changing the staircase isn't really an option so I thought about a dormer at the top of the stairs.  10 years later I'm still thinking about it due to cost and getting permissions to do it.  A piece of paper with 'Mind your Head' on it is much cheaper.