Installing a Log Burner

Joe90

I am about to install a log burner and want to use the existing chimney, which is in good condition, no leaks etc. I have read conflicting advise about whether or not to fit a liner. Has anyone out there fitted a log burned and not used a liner ?

Thanks

Joe

I had one fitted in the UK and did not need a liner. On the other hand I also have one in my French house and it did need a liner. It really depends on the construction of the chimney. If just brick then as I understand it a liner is needed. If it is constructed of clay pots (these are a hard material with each pot fitting into the one below) as mine is then there should be no problem - so long as the pots have been installed the right way up! Don't laugh - I am told that sometimes the builder gets this wrong! The idea is that any tar/soot etc drops down to the fire.

Hope this helps

Andy

this has been discussed before, you should find most of what you want to know here, you must now fit a liner the correct size for the fire/poele/foyer/insert. the insurance would refuse to pay if anything happened and you would be personally liable if someone was hurt. if the link won't work paste it into your browser.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1148350/ShowPost.aspx#1148350

I have been speaking to a UK manufacture and installer of log burners. They have installed hundreds of burners in sound chimneys without fitting a liner. It is their opinion that suppliers will try and scare people into buying a full liner and the quote UK building regs that say that only one meter of pipe needs to be fitted…….

As Dog said Joe90 you won't get much draw if your log burner is say 8kw in the chimney of your size, if you are installing a 16kw then your ok if the chimney doesn't leak. You still need the register plate at the bottom.

In France and in the UK (hetas regs) the installer will test the draw of the fire and that is how they work out if you meet and pass the regulation or not. It is not down to a UK manufacturer to tell you what is required in France unless they supply and install in France.

HETAS guides help but again this is France not the UK.

Poujoulat have guides for France, suggest you read the French regs or go uninsured in the event of a fire, which you could have with an unlined flue as the tar from burning wood will stick on the inside of your chimney and could easily cause a fire. That is why chimney are lined to get the smoke out quicker so there is less build up in the chimney.