Three Phase electricity

dragonrouge

We purchased some few years ago a house to the rear of which is a courtyard and was once used for a coach and taxis enterprise. For inspection pit purposes etc the old proprietor had three phase and we still have three phase coming into the house. All phases have been rewired to new boards and EDF have been here but I am not sure of the puissance that we have but I understand that all phases attract their own standing charges.

However we admit to using the cylinder and pump in one of the outbuildings for watering the garden during the summer.

The meter reading has now taken place and our prelevements have shot up to 146 per month. Please and in the simplest of terms can someone explain to me how I can reduce this amount in that my experience of such matters is limited at best and probably non-existant. There are just two of us and the c/h is oil. We have a cooker a hob a deep freeze and a fridge plus the normal stuff.

Really would appreciate some help here for we do need to get to the bottom of this and to understand what is going on.

Look at your bill and you should see rélevé de consomation or something like that, the ones in dark type are the actual readings, the lighter ones are estimated.

Now use the bill corresponding to your latest reading and the earliest of the others that represents an actual reading.

Subtract the early from the current reading for both HP and HC if applicable , divide the results by the number of months and you have your actual monthly consumption.

Armed with this you can consider whether your current payments are too high, I suspect that you havnt been paying enough and now is catch up time.

Don't know how relevant it might be to your situation but when I had the 3ph in my hangar reconnected the initial bills were estimated and were based on what had previously been paid when it had, in the past, been used commercially. When the meter was actually read I got virtually a 100% refund as all I have ever use in there is the lights.

To be honest my plans for the hangar have changed since then and it would probably pay me to have the 3ph disconnected and just run a single phase cable to it from the house.

Hi thanks to everyone. We have had our meter read every year since we have been here since December 2007. In 2008 our bill was 60 euros a month in 2009 90 euros per month and now 146 per month. Simply put just the two of us over that period no increase in electrical appliances and ok c/h on a lot last winter but that is only to keep the boiler ticking over. It is a good idea to get bills out consumption wise and if that remains fairly constant that its a talking point?

rdgs and thanks again

I think I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about a separate supply to the outhouse not the 3ph supply to the entire property.

If you have been using a chauf eau and pump in an outbuilding EDF may have assumed that your pattern had changed and bumped up the payment but if it was just a blip it should balance out when the meter is next read.

To bypass estimated bills you can sign up to a personal space on the EDF website and enter your actual meter reading when invited, if you are there to do it of course.

Hi am grateful as always. Yes we have 3ph throughout the house and this summer and due to the heat and our grandchildren and a small paddling pool suppose we did use it quite a lot.

But had a look at previous figures.

March 2009 consumption 5712 = 88 euros a month

March 2010 consumption 6259 = 93 euros a month.

This time the meter was read but simply a letter indication new prelevements received and no consumption figures.. So looked at closing number in March 2010 it was 31742.

Today it is 36888 thus a usage of 5146 in some six months?

Surely using the pump to draw up water to fill a water but and then to fill up a small paddling pool would not account for this hike which is obviously 50% But if you extrapolate the figures it does seem that we are on an annual basis heading for a 50% increase?

Equally will get EDF in to see how we can reduce our tariff etc for just two people here most of the time and indeed for two to three months none at all.

Any thought anyone please?