Scaffolding

crossy67

How difficult is it to get scaffolding in general, I assume I will need permission from the Mayor and insurance too? 

We are going to be in 16 South Charente and I need to do a few repairs to the roof and barge boards, whilst I am up there I would like to clean and paint everything.  The house is 3 stories high and on a crossroads so I don't really fancy risking my life on a ladder.

Any one know of any companies that could erect some for me and an idea of what I could expect to pay would be great.

Thanks.

Ian

Thanks Dog.  I have done a few searches (admittedly after asking the question) and can't find any answers from anyone that has managed to do it.  Maybe there is a market to "export" some[:)]

I know our estate agents husband recently bought some, she mentioned it in passing, maybe he would lend me it in return for some form of show of kindness[I] 

I really don't fancy getting to the top of a 3 stoty building on a main road on top of a ladder, I might just be starting and ending my new life in a disappointingly short time scale. I ned to replace the barge boards, do some minor repairs to the roof and put some flashing round the chimney breasts. 

Hi

Cannot really help, but when we needed to re-build a chimney we hunted high and low for scaffolding, finally found a local firm who did a good job but charged an extortionate amount.

As previously said it does not seem to be something the French go in for, and certainly when I had a new barn roof the contractor used a cherry picker.

There are companies who  hire equipment so may be a good idea to have a word with your Mayor who could head you to the right people.

Certainly do not climb ladders to those heights|

Good luck

WendyG

We bought a scaffolding tower from a diy place - it cost a few hundred euros. Our roof is very high but not as high as 3 stories.

When we had the roof replaced the roofer hired a manitou, and used that plus our scaffolding tower.

Manitou hire here costs about 500€pw.

There are some hire companies on the web:

http://www.echafaudage-charentais16.com/

http://www.kiloutou.fr/Location/Location-Elevation-Echafaudage

Lots more but there's somewhere to start.  Our builders certainly used scafolding to do our roof but they put it up themselves so I guess they just had it as part of their kit, rather than hiring a company to do it.