heat removal!

maude

Hi Folks.We live in a "blind" house with windows only on the south side.The bedrooms above the sitting/dining room get unbearably hot due to the trapped rising heat even in winter.We cannot leave the bedroom windows open ,cos of a local moron with multpiles of dogs making much noise.Is it better to fit aVMC in the loft space with suctions from the bedrooms,and expensive roof work for the outlet,or fit wall mounted extraction fans in each bedroom.

Any thoughts welcome, Maude

You may have the ideal house for airsource heating allied with a VMC. If you can reclaim dried warm air from the high point and recirculate it back to the low...you will need to generate less heat in the low area and be able to make more efficient use of that available.....I think...

I used to love my VMC in France, but we are now in the process of putting a heat recovery system in our new house. So I would say, go with it. There are switches so that the air can just get chucked out of the house in summer and recycled in winter. I would say worth the extra cost or at least that is what I am literally banking on.

To continue-we dont have the wall space to install ducting from the roof space through bedrooms into sitting room.Cant generate less heat downstairs-not exactly roasting down here.The trouble is its the usual open staircase out of the dining room(with woodburner) that allows the heat upstairs.Dark enough in these older French houses without boxing in the staircase. Maude

Thanks folks for the replies.Sounds like a couple of megabucks proposals.The house isnt as bad as it sound -just want some fresh air as well as exhausting the over hot air.Bedrooms are a tad too warm in winter after the woodburner has been lit for a couple of hours.I dont have any chance of any form of saving over expenditure of the heat recovery proposals unless i live to be about 150years.

Thanks anyway folks-all very intersting stuff. Maude

Try insulating the floors at chamber joist level (If a beamed ceiling you may need to use cellotex or similar)

Fit a water jcket or back boiler to your stove (maybe replacing it) have a few rads about the house and a thermal store/ hot water cylinder...when the heating reaches set point it will shut down the rads and divert heat to the thermal store.

The house will be an even temperature and you will benefit from both hot water and heating in the morning (Drawn on the thermal store)

Of course you would need to build up a store of energy again for the following day so would still need to light your wood burner....or use off peak electric to charge the thermal store...or solar....or a combination of them all.

Cooling in summer is easier, close the shutters but open the windows and dry your washing indoors (Evaporative cooling at it's simplest)

Effective insulation reduces the need to overheat the premises and is your most economic solution..Insulation on its own should allow you to run the log burner at a more economic consumption rate, remain comfortable downstairs and keep upstairs warm without being an oven.

There is a lot to be said about understanding the burn cycle and optimising fuel useage...theres some good stuff on the web about it..particularly a Canadian site which I cannot recall details off but if I find it I may post one here later.