Post-plastering clean-up and tile sealing

Gyn_Paul

We're on the last room now - the kitchen. And the plasterer is nearly done with the skim coat. Unlike all the other rooms where he was working over bare concrete, this time he's working over finished floor tiles where - despite our best efforts - some of it has got onto the tiles (grey, mock slate). I've tried cold water and mopping, boiling water and scrubbing, lots of detergent, no detergent, wetting and leaving to soak. BAGS of elbow grease with both scrubbing brushes and the little green pan scrubbers, and finally hydrochloric acid. And yet there are STILL bits of it evident on the face of the tiles.

What do/have other people use/d in the great clean-up?

In Castorama we bought a special preparation for cleaning plaster off tiles ( with all the other cleaning products)it worked was expensive and not sure of its any better than hydrochloric acid but when you're desperate and your fingers are worn to the bone its worth a go :-)

Now found it. Its in a bright pink plastic bottle or as the link shows a larger carton

Starwax- Decapant laitance de ciment

www.castorama.fr/store/Decapant-Laitance-de-ciment-carrelage-terre-cuite-2-L-P

[quote user="Théière"]

I would urge you to read the contents of the Starwax and possibly the HG products for the job. Most are just dilute hydrochloric acid but sold at a premium price. A quick check on the bottle should reveal all.

www.duzzEurope.com is the new product but I have not used it yet.

[/quote]

That looks interesting, and I shall certainly have a go with it to clean up the betonier etc, but I'm not so sure it would have the same effect on plaster.

I'm going to make up a patented mix of wallpaper paste, detergent and HCl and leave it to soak on the bad spots for an hour or two and see what happens..

If you hear a loud bang from the direction of Eguzon (23) you'll know who's responsible!

[quote user="Théière"]Go again with the hydrochloric acid, that what the trade use for cleaning cement products off. although there is now a new safer cleaner in the UK (not used it personally)[/quote]

Whilst "the trade" may use HCl for cleaning cement products with some chemical justification; I suspect that the association of a plaster and hydrochloric acid may not have such a synergetic chemical relationship.

Plaster is a product essentially made from gypsum, a sulphate of calcium, the mineral has the propensity to relinquish its water of crystallization on heating and to reclaim it at ambient temperature.

IMHO HCl will only ......de,dah;de,dah......[:P]

Whilst P is out looking for synergie for your plaster........ZZZ...zzzz

Why wallpaper paste? Is that so you can post what gets rid of wallpaper paste later [;-)][:)]

It should only take minutes to soften the plaster, even less if the hydrochloric acid is slighty warm (hint) [I]

[quote user="Babbles"]Allegedly they help keep the much in suspension in the water rather than just pushing it around the floor once its been lifted, but that could just be a sales gimmick , all I know it did lift all the c*@p of the terrazzo ![/quote]

That's the important bit!

Another little tip..........

When I want to turn any liquid for cleaning, stripping, removal whatever, I simply make up an old fashioned flour paste, leave it to cool and then dilute it with the desired liquid.

Suddenly a runny liquid has become thixatropic!

Great for cheap paint stripper: caustic soda solution mixed well with flour paste.

Far cheaper than all those based on Carbon Tet et al. Excellent for stripping cast iron like fireplace surrounds for example.

Acids which dissolve hard gypsum-based plaster.

Acid:

• Citric Acid
  • Acetic Acid

• Lemon juice
  • Muriatic Acid

[quote user="Gluestick"]Another little tip..........

When I want to turn any liquid for cleaning, stripping, removal whatever, I simply make up an old fashioned flour paste, leave it to cool and then dilute it with the desired liquid.

Great for cheap paint stripper: caustic soda solution mixed well with flour paste.

Far cheaper than all those based on Carbon Tet et al. Excellent for stripping cast iron like fireplace surrounds for example.

Acid:

• Citric Acid

• Acetic Acid

• Lemon juice

• Muriatic Acid

[/quote]

Your thixotropic doo-dah will work better HOT, as it will assist the dissociation of the SO4; french grand mamas use vinegar.[:)]

[quote user="Gluestick"]Another little tip..........

Acid:

• Citric Acid

• Acetic Acid

• Lemon juice

• Muriatic Acid Tah Dah.....hydrochloric acid [;-)] Custard is very thixotropic, you can walk across a swimming pool full of custard, made from flour.

[/quote]

[quote user="Théière"]

even less if the hydrochloric acid is slighty warm (hint) [I]

[/quote]

The custard thing is well-known to anyone who has actually made custard from powder. Stir the cornflour all you like in cold milk, but - uncooked - it will eventually settle down again at the bottom of the bowl in this magic layer which you can slowly put a spoon into, but which is remarkably resistant to sudden movements (the latter state sounds rather like my younger brother!).

It is in this form, I suspect, that a swimming pool full of it will support the weight of a passing person. I doubt that a thousand gallons of custard in the made-up, edible form would do the same.

Once the starch is cooked it's not so much thxotropic as just plain thick.

p

Meanwhile, back at the floor tiles......

50:50 boiling water + HCl mopped on, then the most intransigent (sp?) bits scrubbed with one of those green 3M scotch pan-scrubbers, and then lots of rinsing and mopping and rinsing mopping.

Seems to have got most of it off.

But clearly it all needs sealing PDQ. I've tried a test piece 50:50 with Linseed oil + White Spirit, but I'm rather afraid that after 2 coats it will end up v.slippy.

What have the rest of you used?

For info, the tiles are black mock slate, rough textureed, and with a more-or-less matt finish, which is not quite as absorbent as tomettes.

The object is to seal the surface and make it (relatively) stain-proof. I really don't want it to end up glossy or slippy.

Thoughts, anyone? 

p