Fitting lampshades

Gardener

I have new DCL fitting as below

http://www.bricodepot.fr/toulon/node/480066

but can't figure out now how to install a , pendant lampshade from it or if it is possible.

I have a lampshade attached to a cable with a cup to attach to the ceiling, can anyone guide me in the right direction of instructions to fit it, the instructions I have with the lampshade fittings don't help much at all.

Hope this works

This is the light fitting in the ceiling

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/a2br4w.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the diagram link, it looks like mine but still cant figure out how to affix the lampshade and wiring to it. Looking at the lampshae picture I think I need to take out the light holder from the dcl and feed and fix the wiring for the lampshade into the hole that is left.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/312fvvt.jpg[/IMG]

I think I may be easier first to buy another dcl and see if I can work it out on the table before I get up the ladder!

Mods can you make my links live please?

Thanks, that is really helpful Derek.

If I've got this right then the wirng with the shade etc needs to be affixed into the snap off thing and then the snap off thing inserted into the hole in the ceiling.

When the lampshades where chosen they were dangling long and lit up from the ceiling of the shop, but the instructions say from a quick glance that for maximum safety only 8 cms of the cable should be used., so I think the lampshades and fittings will be closer to the ceiling than originally anticipated. I'll give it a go tuesday .

[quote user="Gardener"]

Thanks, that is really helpful Derek.

If I've got this right then the wirng with the shade etc needs to be affixed into the snap off thing and then the snap off thing inserted into the hole in the ceiling.

When the lampshades where chosen they were dangling long and lit up from the ceiling of the shop, but the instructions say from a quick glance that for maximum safety only 8 cms of the cable should be used., so I think the lampshades and fittings will be closer to the ceiling than originally anticipated. I'll give it a go tuesday .

[/quote]

That's it. Hope it goes well.

Just be aware that the catch on the plug is not designed to take any weight, it's just there to retain the plug. The flex of the pendant should have come with a plastic tab arrangement that allows it to be attached onto the hook of the DCL, which (if properly installed) is rated to take up to 25kg. The whole affair is then hidden by the shroud supplied with the pendant set.

I'd ignore the maximum cable length suggestion & do what you want. The short length is probably to ensure that the shade is above head height when hung from a standard ceiling, & therefore avoid litigation......

I reckon the Consuel inspectors should hang a 25kg weight on all ceiling DCL's to see if they have been properly fitted and not just relying on the pattes, after all a particulier having bought a chandelier is not going to know untill the whole lot drops to the floor.

I dont reckon they will find many that comply do you Badger?, none of mine thats certain. 

[quote user="Chancer"]

I reckon the Consuel inspectors should hang a 25kg weight on all ceiling DCL's to see if they have been properly fitted and not just relying on the pattes, after all a particulier having bought a chandelier is not going to know untill the whole lot drops to the floor.

I dont reckon they will find many that comply do you Badger?, none of mine thats certain. 

[/quote]I've never known one to be checked, but as they do state the weight loading on the fitting I don't fancy your chances in the event of an insurance claim........

If I can't get a proper fixing via an M6 bolt, studding, wire & Gripple, or otherwise, I now fit the new larger applique sort (they use standard circular boxes rather than the 54mm ones, or the silly Capri oblong type). That way an end user can't try & hang a cast iron chandelier without providing some other form of suspension.

Dont remind me of those poxy oblong Capri ones, it makes me wonder if the new generation of so called designers have ever left their warm offices to see or experience anything site wise.

Most of the ones I fitted did not in the end get used and are wallpapered over!

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Derek (Or others) pardon my ignorance but does the orange box go above the ceiling?[/quote]

BIG MAC... the orange box ix inset into the ceiling. The white cover (with the hook in it) screws into the the orange box and is fairly flush with the ceiling.

HTH

Are back boxes colour coded in France?

Not specifically, but manufacturers have their own system within their ranges (Legrand use yellow for placo boxes, brick red for masonry for instance, but Schneider placo ones are blue). In my time I've fitted yellow, blue, green, orange & white boxes all designed for placo......