No more bayonets?

Loiseau

It's gradually dawning on me as I mooch around the bricolage shops that all light bulbs seem to have screw fittings.  I know we have to have the horrid low-energy bulbs nowadays, but in the UK these often come with bayonet fittings.  Does this mean that in France one needs to get all one's lampholders changed?

Angela

Apologies, Angela.  Can't have been looking closely enough but then I HATE shopping.

But, goody, goody, will now no longer have to beg visitors from the UK to bring me my light bulbs!  Having said that, the low energy ones seem to last forever; that is, they do when I don't carelessly drop them and render them useless.

In remote places, shops only store large screw bulbs, the bayonnet is slowly disappearing as systems get replaced. We have just been rewired and all fittings are now large screws....hence me buying stocks of low energy large screws at Sainsbury's to take over (£0.40 for 3 !!)

Is it this year that they stop selling the 60W bulbs? I have 'candle' lights that look like the old oil lamps with a glass 'tube' over the top of the bulbs and the new low energy bulbs stop me from putting the glass back on afterwards. I also have a chandelier which looks bloody awful with these low energy bulbs.

Q I had this problem but now you can get halagon bulbs which have all the "covers" that you might need , we needed it bent tip candle bulbs for our chandeliers. They don't have that hideous white plastic base which previous versions have had. Leroy Merlin has a good selection but I did find some cheaper on Ebay UK

I have a halogen one 'on test' in an up-lighter at the moment but they seem rather expensive, around 4 Euro plus per bulb round here and as I have about 20 to replace on the chandelier (if you do one you have to do the lot else it looks strange plus we used to have the none clear ones). I found smaller energy saving ones (I call the Curly Whirleys) for the up-lighters but you have to get the ones that turn on fast for the halls and they are more expensive than the real cheap ones you see around. I have to say that it really pea me off because it could potentially cost me a fortune through no fault of my own plus I know the manufactures are ripping us off, we pay the same per 'life' for the energy bulbs that we used to for the old ones yet they cost next to nothing to make. There is also the issue of dimmer switches and when you work out just how much you save in electricity bills (with the exception of things like Blackpool illuminations) I would rather pay the extra few Euros a year and carry on as I am.

[quote user="Théière"]

Q, you can get halogen replacements for all of those and the halogens are only 42watt for eq of 60w tungsten.

[/quote]

Blinking heck I just saw the prices on that website, thats over four times less than I pay over here. Do they ship to France?

Yes, someones cashing in, Don't know whereabouts you are but I get them for £1.39 +vat if that's any help as I should be driving over next week. Incidentally with the ceasing of production some manufacturers have really cranked up production of the old tungsten lamps and most of the dealers are selling then by the box.

[quote user="Quillan"][I just saw the prices on that website, thats over four times less than I pay over here. Do they ship to France?[/quote][8-)]  Which website was that?  I've looked through all the posts for a link and can't find one (I expect it's there somewhere but I just cannot see it.)

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Quillan"][I just saw the prices on that website, that's over four times less than I pay over here. Do they ship to France?[/quote][8-)]  Which website was that?  I've looked through all the posts for a link and can't find one (I expect it's there somewhere but I just cannot see it.)[/quote]

I worked it out from the link to the photo its (and yes there is no www) http://mr-watts.co.uk The bulbs were 42w SES Halogen Candle Lamp Energy Saving Dimmable Bulb and cost 75p each and to think I am paid over four Euros here. [:@]

I was talking to my French neighbour this morning funny enough because (changing the subject slightly) the double sided toothed belt on my ride on mower broke. Went to the local shop 183 Euros, looked online in France, cheapest 160 something plus 8.20 for the post. Went on UK web £52 including postage and sent out on the same day, all of them were genuine parts and not copies. How people can sit and tell me it's cheaper to live in France I don't know, they must be living in a parallel universe France or something.

Thanks, Teapot.  Next time I go to the UK I will have some.  Good stuff.  I find the flourescent things seem to last for a shorter time than the old tungsten ones.  Talk about a rip-off.  If governments really want to save the planet they need to produce something which lasts longer.  Surely there is a cost to the environment in production which is offsetting any savings in energy whilst they are in use?  One of life's modern-day cons.

Just come off the phone having had a chat to the chap at this lamp company. He is going to ship me 20 bulbs (those ones I am talking about) for just under £23 including postage which seems great. He is also about to start working with DHL International and for a one off fee of about £15 you can have as much shipped over as you like. All the postage is insured and recorded. He is looking at selling through Amazon France as he already sells via Amazon UK. He is also looking at EBay France. Really nice chap by the way and if you email him (via the website) or even phone him he may even 'cut you a deal' if your ordering a lot. By the way I did ask him about his low energy bulbs and they are all 'fast start' he says so I bought a couple just to see and will report back if you want.

Loiseau, I needed to buy a lamp with a screw fitting and you have me with bayonnets on the brain and I brought home a bayonnet lamp instead. This old brain does get addled sometimes; so back it will have to go.

ps I am not allowed to say 'bulbs' apparently that is what people plant in the garden, so in this house it is lamps.