New electric circuit.

marco

I am rebuilding a lovely old house and I'm designing a completely new electricity installation, all as per the norme and using Thomas Malcolm's "Electricity in your French house" as a reference.

He suggests that only 16amp disjoncteurs are used for lighting circuits.

I'm quite happy with this but when looking at prefilled tableau de repartitions they all seem to have some 10amp disjoncteurs fitted.

Can anyone shed light (!!) on what these might be used for.

Thanks.

[quote user="RicandJo"]Download this it's a very good reference.

http://www.legrand.fr/particuliers/guide-pratique-l-installation-electrique-dans-l-habitat_1750.html

10 Amps is normal for lighting, 1.5mm cable, 8 lights max per disjoncteur[/quote]

I don't see any downloads? The guide is available "Prix de vente 3€". You can buy it in Brico Depot and no doubt many other places.

Click on where it says 'consultez le guide"

When Le guide opens up theres a little Adobe symbol top right of the booklet - click here then on 'document complet' to download the complete guide as a pdf. Once you open it as a PDF you can save a copy from there same as any normal .pdf.

Sorry I was rushing out to change a 737 brake earlier - didn't get chance to give you all the info.......

It's the rating and cable size that are linked not the use. on a 10A/1.5mm2 circuit you can either have up to 5 power outlets or up to 8 light fittings. You can't mix power and light on the same circuit. A 16A circuit breaker on a 1.5mm2 circuit would not meet the Norms

[quote user="RicandJo"]Click on where it says 'consultez le guide"

When Le guide opens up theres a little Adobe symbol top right of the booklet - click here then on 'document complet' to download the complete guide as a pdf. Once you open it as a PDF you can save a copy from there same as any normal .pdf.

Sorry I was rushing out to change a 737 brake earlier - didn't get chance to give you all the info.......[/quote]

Thanks for that - got it. For anyone who hasn't quite got the page click HERE

A friend bought the booklet only yesterday at Brico Depot - could have saved himself  3€ had we known!

Powersdeal, You're right, and I stand corrected. I'm sure I read it in there (Comme un Pro) and only recently installed a lighting circuit with a 10A disjoncteur!! Actually it seems more sensible to me but I don't generally do things without having read-up on it first.

The Legrand document appears to have taken the sensible approach; I wonder if there has been an update to the normes? I'll keep looking!

EDIT: I found this thread on an electrical forum posing the same question  http://www.electys.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=325 so it looks as though you can use either 10 or 16 and because the current on a lighting circuit rarely exceeds a few hundred watts the electricians use a 10A disjoncteur.