roofing options

euro

i have a stone barn in the S.W of France and the roof needs replacing soon.

its currently a clay tile roof as is common here.

its a job i intend to do and having done small repair jobs with the traditional tiles which are easlily broken and dislodged i am keen to avoid so ,

rather than replace with tiles i am interested in finding out about new products like the tile effect sheets made from cement fibre or even steel.

this seems a more practical option for me to work with and as its held in place with fixings or screws shoukld withstand wethering better.

anyone used it ?

thanks

I replaced one side of our barn roof with the metal sheets last summer and will be doing the other side this year. I costed various alternatives and whilst not the cheapest, overall it seemed to represent the best deal as hopefully it will last for a long time with no worries about leaks or anything, but come the time when I can do what I would like with the barn the metal will hopefully be usable for other things.

No real problems fitting it other than getting the joist reasonably level where it was fixing as there wasn't much bend in it, and also getting the first one in line correctly (which I didn't quite manage). The one job I haven't completed on the first side is putting the fixings in on the overlap of the sheets, I couldn't reach from one side to the overlap and the metal ladder I have didn't sit between the ridges of the roof so I don't want to scratch it - I will make a wooden ladder to fit and use that this year.

Seems to have worked well and I have no worries about doing the second side other than it being roadside and I am concerned about having a 4.5m metal sheet unfixed as trucks go past so timing will be critical!

[quote user="andyps"]I replaced one side of our barn roof with the metal sheets last summer and will be doing the other side this year. [/quote]

You have fitted "corrugated iron sheets" the OP was enquiring about the fibre-ciment type with special colour effect (asked question on another forum to which I have replied based on our own experience). Using corrugated iron sheets makes the house look like a cow shed. That's what a barn is but I wouldn't recommend it on a lived in house.

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="andyps"]I replaced one side of our barn roof with the metal sheets last summer and will be doing the other side this year. [/quote]

You have fitted "corrugated iron sheets" the OP was enquiring about the fibre-ciment type with special colour effect (asked question on another forum to which I have replied based on our own experience). Using corrugated iron sheets makes the house look like a cow shed. That's what a barn is but I wouldn't recommend it on a lived in house.

[/quote]And it's probably not an issue for our o/p either, but iron sheets are a total no-no for livestock as they make the interior very hot in summer.

I have some of the pressed out tile looky likeys at home sort of britmet or metro tile. They looked good from the longevity point and non leak speed of fix, strength aspect but they dont yet resemble a real tile and i feel would ruin an old building so not going to use them. I have seen some reconstituted plastic cannal tiles (singles) that looked very effective with a grit finish but they dont make a plain tile that I have seen.

As the owner of a traditional roofed building, I too was concerned about canal tiles and the, what seemed like constant, requirement to climb on to the roof and 'adjust ' a few of those under tiles which had moved and caused a drip or more.

When we refurbished the roof, the roofer replaced all the under tiles with a new version which lock to each other - hence no more movement and no more leaks. It's been done for over a year now and (touch wood) has had no problems at all. Just have to save up and do the barn now :-)

[quote user="Alex H"]As the owner of a traditional roofed building, When we refurbished the roof, the roofer replaced all the under tiles with a new version which lock to each other - hence no more movement and no more leaks. [/quote]

But you have lost all the cachet of the old tiles........shame.

I've replaced a barn roof with the "Eternit" sheets. the sheets are coloured with a random pattern to look like tiles from a distance. To give it a better effect, rather less regimented and regular, I salvaged the best of the tiles from the old roof and put those on, so it is a tiled roof but no canals; the underlying sheets act as the canals. In terms of tiles it only takes half the number so the weight is a lot less too. I'm very satisfied.

It's a quick job to get the building weather proof as the sheets are 2m x 1m and fasten down easily with bolts through the ridges. I've cemented some tiles just to keep them in place but if there's any slippage there's now water ingress as the sheets prevent that.

As someone else has commented, whilst it's OK for a utility building I'm not entirely sure I'd want it on the house. I'll cross that bridge (roof) when I come to it!

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="Alex H"]As the owner of a traditional roofed building, When we refurbished the roof, the roofer replaced all the under tiles with a new version which lock to each other - hence no more movement and no more leaks. [/quote]

[/quote]

Err No..........

Only the underside is all new :-)

[IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/Roof.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Alex H"][quote user="ericd"]

[/quote]

Err No..........

Only the underside is all new :-)

[IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/Roof.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Nice roof both !

[quote user="ericd"]

[/quote]

What I have fitted doesn't fit with the classic "corrugated iron sheets" style as I would think of that, the roof I have now was referred to as "bac acier" by the builders merchant. And I added my comments based on the OP saying it was for a "stone barn" and the "or even steel." section of his post.

Tiles would be preferable, I like the corrugated sheet which looks like clay tiles posted above, but our roof was slate so slate coloured metal is OK for me, and the local planners.

[quote user="andyps"]Sorry, not sure what is happening with the quotes there, they look fine in preview. It must be an incredibly short time period in which you can delete a post, I'll ask a mod to help![/quote]

Compatibility view setting???  From your toolbar on top right, set this for compatibility view, edit your post and re-post, it should work.

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="andyps"]Sorry, not sure what is happening with the quotes there, they look fine in preview. It must be an incredibly short time period in which you can delete a post, I'll ask a mod to help![/quote]

Compatibility view setting???  From your toolbar on top right, set this for compatibility view, edit your post and re-post, it should work.

[/quote]Either that or it's your browser.  Some chuck up gobbledegook no matter what you do.  But try Eric's idea first (icon like a torn piece of paper right of the address bar.)

Hi all and thanks for replies.

to clarify i am looking at alternatives to tiles to save time and money as well as have something which should not need any attention going forward.

basically i think we all have better things to do than messing about "adjusting " tiles which have slipped.

re the photos supplied by sid , i am assuming the 1st pic is the sheets bolted in place prioer to putting on the canal tile for effect ?

various products appear on google ie sheet metal and pvc as well as fibre cement - but they are intended for the uk market.

as ever trying to find out about products made for France isnt straightforward !

[quote user="euro"]

re the photos supplied by sid , i am assuming the 1st pic is the sheets bolted in place prioer to putting on the canal tile for effect ?[/quote]

looks like it's done to me :-) although it does look a lot like desert camouflage in the first pic - I wonder if you can see it from above?

The metal product I used is this one - http://www.bricodepot.fr/lorient/node/467609 - although I didn't get it from BricoDepot and got slate colour to match the original tile colour.

Thanks for the comments about the quotes, I use Google Chrome browser so maybe that is why they haven't worked. Next time I want to quote I had better try to remember how Internet Explorer works!!

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay in replying... I've been at Wembley watching my team win the FA Cup!! [:D]

The first photo shows the panels bolted in place. Then I laid tiles on top, just the top ones, no canals. From a distance you can't tell that there is only one layer of tiles. If you want another photo I'll go and take one, the ones I've got don't really do it justice.

For a utility building it's a great way to get a quick result. I also put new woodwork in too, just pine, again for cost/utility reasons.

Sid