Cost of chippings (cailloux)

mint

Today I was quoted 187 euros for 2 cubic metres of chippings (bog standard variety) including delivery from a firm whose premises are a quarter of a mile from my house.

Any comments, please, on whether that's expensive, cheap or about right?

Last time I checked at Point P , I think the price was around 38 Euro a tonne (cubic metre) and standard delivery of 70 Euro over 10 km radius.

That would make it 146 Euro.

Have you tried a Quarry , they are usually a bit cheaper .Not sure about a small load though.

Found this forum although its a couple of years old.

http://www.forumconstruire.com/construire/topic-85080.php

I'd suggest you pay a visit to Patrice Desert, materiaux-de-construction yard, just up the road from you at Palluaud. He is local, very knowledgeable, has all the stuff you require, speaks english, and if you can get his attention will describe in detail what you should do and how . . .! before you say it, no, I'm not the font, but have a bit of experience in your neck of the woods . . .

JJ, thanks for coming up with the goods, you wonderful man, you!

Will now leave it till next week as I am busy with boring stuff like having my jalopy CT'd and the neighbours to entertain, LOL; you know what I mean!

A cubic metre of chippings is more like 1.6 tonne, but its only of interest if you are buying in bulk from a quarry where they sell by weight.

Around here I pay €35 per m3 for schiste rouge, I collect myself using my long suffering trailer, she gets abused and overloaded every time because the guys will always tip out a second godet for me and give me a ticket for un quart, if I load the trailer level it equates to 0.8m3 for the price of 0.25m3 and I dont pay the delivery charge, bulk materials are the only thing I buy locally.

Mind you 1.3 tonnes plus the trailer on a pair of mini tyres is pushing it. I have to go over a junction right outside the gendarmerie and its on a hill as well, this is one Stop! where I dont unless there is other traffic coming, I roll over it very slowly to avoid smoking the clutch, the guys are aften outside smoking a cigarrette, they even held the traffic up for me once. 

During my first week I had a delivery of ballast and sand from this merchant who is one mile from me the costs were of a similar magnitude.

Once bitten twice shy.

My next door neighbour (UK) had 1.5m2 of chippings delivered and both of us thought it looked a bit less than 1.5m2. Naturally, it did not cover what he wanted it to so went with his trailer to collect another 1.5m2 and low and behold there was a lot more in the second lot.

Perhaps OK if they supply bagged but loose and there is scope to under-deliver.

Paul

Hi all,

Just a quick question on this topic..............being a bit thick !!

Are the "chippings" everyone refers to "the grey gravel type stuff" ?

We need to put another layer on our garden paths which have a thin layer of the "grey gravel" (I don't particularly like them but seems a cheap option) so am interested in the post about costings for this.

Thanks.

Mel.