Devis how accurate?

crossy67

Hi.

I am getting devis in for work we need doing. I have had a devis from one contractor and a quote from another.  The one that gave me the quote said it will be the maximum and will not rise no matter what, unlike a devis.  I was under the impression a devis was a binding quote.  Who is right, me or the quote man?  Could the devis man get to the end and say "well there were a few bits that I had not taken into account, that'll be another €1k please".  And if he does what rights do I have then?

Thanks all.

Ian

Thanks for the replies. 

I am just a bit worried that the one I would rather do the work might increase the bill once he has got the job.  The devis is quite comprehensive but as with any work being carried out, there is always the chance hidden problems might send the price through the roof.  That might not be a bad thing really, the roof is insured and could do with some work[I]

With roofing work we always state on the devis that there could be unforseen expenses that cannot be quoted for on the devis such as the state of the charpente once the roof tiles and volige have been removed and that as such, the client will be given another devis for the remedial/replacment work involved and usually if you are paying to have a nice new roof, the state of the timbers is most important and understood to be an extra hidden cost. Therefore I suggest you add some extra to your budget just in case your artisan finds something nasty that could impede the works and only a complete new roof with new timbers and tiles is insured, repairs are never guaranteed. InFrance you must get everything in writing and signed for or else you have no leg to stand on if a tribunal case arises.

The devis/quote is a fixed price for the work described, You need to check that the quantities shown in the devis are correct and it describes the work you asked for. If for some reason the job cannot be completed without carrying out unforeseen additional work (finding rotten timbers in a roof for example) then this work should be detailed in another devis and agreed by you. The contractor who says that the price will not increase no matter what is leaving himself open to doing a lot of extra work for free