Group de Security

Northender

Every year when we winter our holiday home I drain the Chauffage de Eau by turning the Group de Security and draining the water and leave it in the OFF position.

When I filled up this year it started dripping straight away from the G de S..

I guess that by leaving it in the OFF position there as been a build up of calcaire which is now preventing it from sealing properly.

My question is are they servicable?

I have already purchased another , noting that you can get anti-calcaire versions, which I wasn't aware of when I installed it 3 years ago.

Also do you have to drain the tank to replace it?

Can you turn them clockwise as well as anti-clockwise?

I'm back in the UK at the moment and can't remember which way I was turning it.

However when I turned it water came spurting out at a much faster rate.

I tried this a few times but it did not stop the drip.

Take it off, secure it in a vice or similar in its normal position, fill with vinegar and the next day it will no longer leak.

If you have a Persian rug underneath you may want to rig up a tray to catch the few drips that may escape whilst it is detartring.

It might also be a water pressure problem. Do you have a pressure reduction valve? If yes then there may be imperfect seating of the valve allowing a small flow of water through the valve. In the event of the static water pressure being greater than 7 bars then the GdeS will leak permanently as 7 bars is the nominal release pressure.

French 1/2 inch reduction valves are of poor quality, the seating is chromed and once the chrome is lost at a spot on the seating a nick quickly develops.

I used to change them every 9 months until one day I bought an Italian 3/4 inch reduction valve with a ceramic seating. Cost me maybe € 10 extra plus a couple of inline reduction nipples ( in the event that censorship and stars appear please read as the attachment nozzles found on mammary glands).[:D]