Dodgy roof????

Fridgeman

Hi folks

Had my roof re-tiled by a local builder (?) about 4 years ago and have complained a few times re leaks, he is very very slow in getting around to us, usually after asking 5 or 6 times and then some, unfortunatley I cannot now get on to roofs just about make it up the ladder but a friends son who works for a building company kindly took a look and he feels in his opinion that the work is shoddy at best.

I have a few questions, the roof has canal tiles with flat unders my question is:   Should ALL the under tiles be nailed, also after 4 years should the ridge tiles be loose? should he have put zinc around the base of the chimney stack and should the bottom line of tiles be cemented in ?

I feel I know the answers but would like to hear from those who REALLY know, someone like a roofer please

Many thanks

fridgeman

Hi Fridgeman,

most of the flat unders I have seen(especially newer ones) are interlocking and I usually only nail the fist row & then maybe every 6th-7th row,the ridge tiles(in my opinion) should not be loose after only 4 yrs unless you've had some extreme weather,zinc or some form of flashing should,again in my opinion, be used round the stack although I see many that just seem to be sealed with a cement fillet,it's usual to cement the first over tile at the verge.

Hi Pat

Thank you for replying.

Exactly my thoughts and yes they are interlocking but have only been nailed here and there not by a row just individual tiles and no cement at the verge, there is only a cement fillet around the stack and it has always leaked and there has not been any "extreme" weather, my problem is my French is c**p and my other half who's french is perfect has no bottle which I can understand.

This work was carried out with a devis and I've learnt my lesson there "always read or get someone to read exactly what it says cos that is what you are going to get!!!!" don't matter what you verbally agree what is written is all that counts!!!!

Please put me right,as far as I am concerned this work is covered for 10 years ?

Your thoughts please