Magnesuim or Titane chauffe eau?

joidevie

Hello all..  Time to look at a new chauffe eau (200l).

Is  a 'titane' ballon worth the extra €150-200? I had a look on some French plomberie forums and the consensus is they are good, but one post left me wondering. One chap had a jibe at them saying something along the lines of "just wait until these people leave it switched off for a while..". I went on the read something about the fact that they need power for the 'self cleaning' process to work? Have I got this wrong? This would make it a hugely impractical choice! Surely there must be a workaround or system in place?

On another note, Bricoman are doing a 200l (magesium) made by Cumulus themselves (the original makers?) which sounds good on paper, but I can't even find their web site to check the stats!? Or any recommendations on units/brands (magnesium or titane) at entry level prices - We have Bricodepot, Bricoman, Bricomarché & Tridome. There are so many badged (not big names) products around that possibly are the same.. But cheap Chinese replicas are off the menu these days.. OK for a screwdriver or bucket, but no longer on electricals!

Many thanks to any hot water aficionados out there!

Both systems are corrosion protection systems rather than cleaning systems, and don't help against calcaire build-up.

The "titane" versions are an "impressed" current system i.e. they are "active" and only work when the power is on at the chauffe-eau. Some of them have a battery back-up so that current is supplied during short off periods, for example if the chauffe-eau is running on off-peak electricity and is off during the day. However the battery back-up is quite limited, so the "titane" type is OK for a house which is permanently occupied, not good for a maison secondaire. On the plus side, it doesn't wear out like a magnesium anode does.

I would always go for a branded make like Sauter, I have had a mystery make, it lasted quite well, but the problems come when you want to change thermostat or element: these things ain't standard and interchangeable as in UK.

Good clear info.. Many thanks. I wonder how many other people have unknowingly bought a 'titane' version thinking it's the bees knees, only to switch it off when they leave the house!

Are "CUMULUS" a good brand? Their name implies they are the 'original' designers of these things..

And is a higher wattage a good thing or bad (for economy)? For example some 200l units are 2400 or 3000w.. And what is the other stat to look for - time to heat up figures?

Cheers again..

Thanks..

.. more questions, sorry ....

What does it actually mean "résistance stéatite"? Entry level "ATLANTIC" ballons are described as 'blindé' and no mention of 'magnesium' or 'résistance stéatite'... (I've seen SAUTER one called 'blindé' too..)

Am I better off getting a 'bog standard' ATLANTIC than a bells & whistles spec (magnesium, résistance stéatite...) lesser known marque? Naturally we're after running cost efficiency, but plumbing in a load of garbage will try my patience too.. Easier to swap a well known brand element every few years than a whole new ballon?

Many thanks.. All this sales jargon can be trying at times..