odd HC HP wiring setup on water heater

tj

Hi

Like others, my cheap rate wiring is a 20 amp, 2amp and trip switch arrangement,,

does anyone know any other way to wire ths? the reason i ask, is a friends old fusible board only has a 16 amp fuse and the trip switch, and on edf,s board a blue gray box marked telecommande with 2 blue wires out of it,

confused!!

I can't really comment about how your friend's board is wired, but the two wires on the "télécommande" box are simply the two sides of a switch.

A live feed from the distribution board is sent down one (& needs 2A protection) whilst the other wire, the return (which will be live during the cheap rate/HC period), goes to the one side of the contactor (the jour/nuit unit) that then switches on the water heater (the load of which is protected via a maximum 20A breaker). The other side of the contactor is connected to neutral.

A simple wiring diagram can be seen here. I think that your friend's board may lack certain bits......

.... and if the wires are either side of the EDF switch, then they certainly shouldn't be in blue as they will both be live!

But then if the installation pre-dates about 1975, then they could be any colour, really (any colour originally, that is - the effect of sunlight on the dyes used in cables before the '70's seems to render just about everything either blue-grey, or redish-brown), as - despite what the regulations might say, I fancy most electricians invented and observed their own 'code'. And EDF seemed equally happy to connect up a supply just as long as it didn't go 'BANG' when they put the main breaker fuse back! Not so today, thank God.

p

and if the wires are either side of the EDF switch, then they certainly shouldn't be in blue as they will both be live!

why is that neccessarily so ? colour doesnt determine live or otherwise. you can use any colour you wish,which is what has probaly been done'

However, only one is live and connected to the front of the trip switch the other to the neutral bar. installation is less than 15 years old.

apparently you dont have to have the 2amp to make it work....infact you can just put the 2 wires together and cheap rate will kick in but of course you cannot use the tableau to control appliances.

No. You can use any color you like for live EXCEPT green/yellow, and BLUE. Blue is always neutral.

If you are signed  up for HP/HC  then, at the given hour, the meter receives a signal superimposed on the incoming 50Hz and switches to charge any and all electricity flowing through the meter on the appropriate scale. what you do with the two wires has absolutely no effect on this, they are simply the wires going to and from an internal switch which makes or breaks on the EDF signal.

No No you are wrong!!!

All you have to do is join these two wires, one of which is live (without a 2 amp breaker) the other connected to the neutral terminal, and you will instantly get cheap rate electricity [:-))]

It must be true because I read it on the internet [6]

Mind you it was a bit odd that the expert that imparted that knowledge only 3 posts earlier knew nothing about the subject and was asking how it all worked, what a great learning tool the internet is [:D]

you need to pay more attention to the question, than preparing your smart arsed comments,,

There was never any question whether it worked,IT DOES, my question was ' had anyone else ever come across this configuration before and if the 2 amp is neccessary why does it work?

tj. From your statements and terminology you obviously have no useful knowledge of electricity. Advising your friend would simply be a case of the blind leadng the blind.

I suggest you get a qualified electrician to do your or his wiring before someone gets killed.

[quote user="tj"]you need to pay more attention to the question, than preparing your smart arsed comments,, There was never any question whether it worked,IT DOES, my question was ' had anyone else ever come across this configuration before and if the 2 amp is neccessary why does it work?[/quote]

Your question was "does anyone know of another way of wiring this?" which you later answered yourself with:

apparently you dont have to have the 2amp to make it work....infact you can just put the 2 wires together and cheap rate will kick in but of course you cannot use the tableau to control appliances.

Good luck anyway!

I'm not going to comment about the OP's competence or otherwise, but to answer the question:

A 2A disjoncteur is required to protect the internal switch contacts inside the meter. It's absence doesn't stop the system working as it should (i.e. if the current to the switch is fed directly from elsewhere) but it does endanger the switch contacts in the meter & also doesn't comply to regulations). As a secondary effect it also protects the winding of the jour/nuit contactor.

Regardless of whether you have a switching arrangement or not the whole supply goes over to cheap rate when a signal is received by the meter via the mains network. This is why so many appliances have a delayed start feature in France so that they can be made to come on during the cheap period.