Painting a fireplace surround

frexpt

I have posted previously about the sorry state of our smoke-blackened fire surround, which has resisted all attempts to clean up.  We have made the decision to paint it, but a friend has raised the question of fire-resistence of paint.

The fireplace will house a freestanding 12kw woodburner with 25 cms clearance each side and significantly more above.

I had planned to use a base coat of general purpose primer, a couple of coats of (Crown) matt emulsion, topped off with a couple of coats of Ronseal diamond hard floor varnish, all water based.  Perhaps we do need something more heat resistant, in which case, we are open to suggestions............

[IMG]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee448/frexpt/fireplace.jpg[/IMG]

Just want to resurrect the mantle and pillars, all faces, but not the rear wall of the fireplace, which actually looks much better because that has been cleaned up and repointed, since this photo.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]At 25 cms with a woodburner I think you will be OK. We used exterior stone paint on ours but mainly because we had some left and liked the colour.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion.........not a bad idea, at all!  We have some of that stuff tucked away from when we painted the garage and that would be pretty similar in colour to what we are aiming for......thumbup

I may wake up later to find this has all been a dream, but can it really be that simple.............??

Quite seriously, many thanks for all the suggestions.  The wife is favouring the emulsion route as we have a can of something left over that she particularly likes.[:)]