Builders insurance for extension and selling, necessary or not?

Mick

[quote user="Will"]It may seem an obvious question, and I know I run the risk of causing offence by asking it, but was the job all signed off and final payment handed over? I ask because, and you will probably know this from the amount of homework you did, that the insurance does not come into force until the job is finished and paid for.
But as others have said, the notaire, whose job it is to make sure that all legal aspects of the sale are in order, should sort out the paperwork. It's what he/she is being paid for, after all.

This page should help. It, and the associated forum posts linked from it, would seem to suggest that the absence of insurance won't legally prevent you from selling, but you may suffer a reduction in value as a result.

[/quote] Yep, as I said in my last post, the job was completed and payment made.

Mick - folks who have replied with all sorts of valuable help on here have only your interests at heart and mean no malice or disrespect in any way I am sure. Remember that a screen does not convey facial or physical gestures or meanings and it can come across as cold sometimes.

Yesterday we had a call from a notaire who is selling a house we renovated for two clients. She wanted a copy of the insurance policy details too for the new buyers, so therein lies the answer if you can't get the details yourself. I wouldn't worry your life away over this issue unless something does crop up within the work itself that needs repairing or re-doing.

Ok Val, I'll eat humble pie.

I've recently bailed out from another forum with more than it's fair share of not very nice people and that, plus some of the bad people we met when we first came here and were vulnerable, makes one a bit cynical.

We've now sorted the vultures out from the nice but we are still quite guarded about being open with strangers.

No pie eating necessary I'm sure. I know what you mean about some forums though and the people on there, I too left this one for about three years because some of the people on it were really nasty. I'm sure if you met some of us who replied in the flesh,you would find we are not bad folks and probably just like yourself at the end of the day.

In my case the date of the work and the name of the firm were written in, but other wise there was the 'bought as seen' clause.

In other words claims could only be made for the specific things mentioned.

In the case of of work done by yourself there may be a question of whether it was inspected by the EDF in the case of electrical work etc to show that it is 'conforme' , but this will probably have been covered by the various things you have to have inspected before the sale nowadays

A post has been removed from this thread.

Users must not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.