Pull cord Legrand switch

JohnRoss

Having not been able to find a ceiling mounted pull cord switch, do the French really not have them, I have found a interrupteur a tirette unit made by Legrand.

I am thinking of mounting this in a plastic junction box and mounting the box in the space between the ceiling lambri and the floor boards above with the cord hanging down through a small hole in the ceiling lambri. The recomendation on the packing says Cet appareil doit etre incorporé dans un meuble. Ne pas installer nu. Is there any reason why I should not do this folks?.........JR

PS

Legrand have this note on their product: Legrand 91164 Interrupteur à tirette Caractéristiques Uni-polaire 2 Ampères Pour appareil d&rsquo éclairage de Classe 2 Livré avec un fil en nylon la tirette

Snap !

I'm planning to partially refurbish a bathroom where there is full and easy access to the area above the ceiling so that wiring for lights and a switch can be simply installed.

The only alternatives for fixing a wall or external switch are surface mounted gaine fixed to ceramic wall tiles or to chase out the stone walls, bury the cable and locally make good/re-point and re-tile.

A simple pullcord switch fixed to the ceiling is the only practical solution for me and I will happily ignore French norms in this instance. I'll probably use a MK double pole switch rated at 40 amps (actualy intended for electric showers in UK) - if that's not safe enough, I don't know what is.

What I am trying to do is find a simple solution to the problem and yet to stay within what French regs may or may not say. A pull cord switch would save a lot of work for sure. The Legrand switch is for mounting inside furniture like cupboards and I cannot see any difference in safety between that and between ceiling boards and floor boards in a plastic junction box but is it allowed? It would be switching 150W lamp load. It might be possible to mount it inside a ceiling lamp suspension unit, a bit like a ceiling rose, which would save having a junction box in the space between the ceiling and floor above...........JR

Condensation is the only difference, the high condensation in a bathroom type situation could be the danger as a cabinet pull cord won't be designed for that. How about a microwave sensor mounted in the light fitting? PIR's are not usually good because of the temp changes in bathrooms.

150w !!! how big is this bathroom, maybe time to look at LED lighting [:)]

[quote user="idun"] you don't have pull cords in France. I have never seen one or wanted one. [/quote]

Oh, yes you do!

I removed one from the bedroom when I first moved in.

They are 'safer' in bathrooms than standard switches (stop the masses switching on/off lights with wet hands and killing themselves) :-)

The light fitting has three 50W spot lamps in the ceiling fitting and the room is a dressing room and not a bathroom. However I thought classe 2 gear was ok in a salle d'eau.

I have gorn off the idea of a junction box between the ceiling and floor above as to get at it to replace the switch would need some sort of trap door in the floor above but the lamp suspension unit mounted on the ceiling below is I think a better bet assuming the regs allow .............JR

You can get pull-cord switches in France (obviously!), but you cannot mount them "hidden" - the same way as you can't hide a junction box.

There are lots of wire-free alternatives to hard-wired switches (which are quite safe and legal in bathrooms, provided they are installed in conformance with the normes).

That is what I use in a shower room....A  UK one designed for bathrooms that I have been informed has all the EU accepted markings ...And complies now with French regs I have been told ....A pull - cord switch I have always believed to be the safest switch for bathrooms given the condensation build up  .