Finishing Plaster

Alpinemist

I've searched and seen this was asked back in 2009 but want to see if anything has changed.

I have a friend coming to do some plastering for me and I have to buy the finishing plaster before he comes.

What is a french equivalent to finishing plaster that i can buy and where from. We have a Gedimat, Leroy Merlin and Bricorama in our area.

Many thanks

Dries too fast.

The stuff I have recommended works. I have seen it applied and I have seen the finish which you can paint directly on to if you wish, it's that good. If your really worried ask your mate to drive over and bring the plaster with him. Mind you I have visited a house which was done in English plaster and it fell off after a year, couldn't cope with the extreme temperature changes down my neck of the woods, well that's what the English builder said.

Dave&Olive....      actually it's 'C' for court (as in 'short): unless there's an even quicker setting version, that is.

My

English plasterer uses Lutece C  unless the weather is very hot when he

adds 'L' or switches to it completely, but in general he finds 'C' is

fine when he makes up enough for about 10 - 15 minutes work, after which

he comes back to it to polish the finish.

I do appreciate though

that a professional would tend to work quicker than we amateurs, for

whom the 'C' might, indeed go off too quickly.

Quillan. ...      that builder

who said English plaster can't cope with high temperatures is talking bollocks, it's far more likely to be either old stock which didn't

chemically cure (and therefore bond) properly, or applied to a poor

substrate. I twisted Steve's arm to skim-coat a ceiling composed of

painted particle board. He said it wouldn't stick, and - sure enough - 3

months of laundry steam and it came away in A4 size chunks. He's the

professional: I should have listened to him!

p

hi ok

No it`s  R  and  L  on the stuff I have  ..the R will set in the bucket it you are not quick enough ....unless I can not tell a C from an L                                            Dave

Post edited in accordance with the Code of Conduct

I would like to have a play....is there any material difference in method from UK plaster?..I do notice all sorts of odd looking trowels in the bricos (some of which look as though they should be on a cheeseboard rather than a hawk) but can one 'get by' using French materials with ones's trusty mixer, hawk and plasterring float trowel?

....there didn't seem to be, Steve, my English plasterer, used all the usual UK bits of kit.

The only time I ever saw real French plasterers at work (on my other house), I didn't notice what's brand of plaster they used but they threw it on the wall in a consistency not much different to double cream (un-whipped), with most of it, seemingly, ending up on the floor. What little of it that did stick to the walls, they then proceeded to scrape off with one of those long aluminium straight edges. So a markedly different system seemingly.!

p

A few tips if you are going to "have a go" at plastering are.

Coat the surface with PVA glue diluted down by 4 or 5 to 1 with water and let that dry over night. Gives a really good adhesion for the plaster and stops most of it ending up on the floor

Add the plaster to the water not the water to the plaster, if its like cottage cheese its too thick

Take the sharp corners off the steel float with a grinder to give a corner about 1/4 inch round

Get it as flat as possible and fill any imperfections afterwards with ready mixed surface filler using the 9 to 12 inch wide blade available here

Don't try to do more than 15 minutes plastering at a time (usually about 4 sq metres for me)

Use  the cheapest emulsion to seal the plaster if you go on to wallpaper later

Qullian or anyone else that can help.

Following on, I've looked for Delta Court but can't find it. Could you let me know ehere you bought yours and also what I should expect to pay for a bag.

I looked on B & Q and finishing plaster is £5 for a 25kg bag and I looked at some today that was 86 euros for a 25kg bag !!

I paid 12,78 Euros for a 33kg bag, that's with my discount, normal price around 15 Euros. I buy mine from my local builders merchant (not a DIY store, you pay more) and he is part of the 'Point Mat' franchise although I think that's irrelevant as any good builders merchant will sell it.

I would get your plasterer to do a test, somewhere you won't notice. He may not find it so simple as there is a bit of a technique involved, it's not like English plaster to work with, my guy puts it on with his hands! Once he has played around with it he will be OK.

I should make the point I can plaster with UK bonding, multi, drywall etc...My floats are plenty worn albeit I dont round the corners much as I seem to be able to get by without...It's the French material itself which resembles plaster of paris that I am unfamiliar with

• 3 weeks later...
I have been plastering using the Lutece 2000L, it has been my 1st attempt.  I am very pleased with the outcome, it finishes with a slightly porous surface unless you polish it like mad but a totally smooth finish can be got if you want to spend a bit more time.  I just bought another bag for about €12.00