what area springs to your mind

autum

hello to everyone,

my partner and i,are looking at france to live,we have a house in bulgaria,in country side neighbours are wonderful,to get there is a nightmare at the moment, perphaps to quite for myself,my partner is keen on france for accessibility to england,france being a big country,what area would spring to your mind,if we said, not flat, trees near airport, shopsand quaint markets for myself,or i would turn to seed,my partner retireing this year,im not there just yet,both still very active minded, like quite a few people i imagine we just cant cope with what england is turning into,and feel very frustrated with situation its not going to change ,

i find the french attitude to immigration good,but we will be one of those immigrants how will we fare,?we are going to normandy in february for 4 days,on an organised trip to the d day beaches,was thinking of extending the stay if we could find B&b and have a nosey about, any thoughts on areas would be appreciated,  fishermen in the family,

regards    autum

I don't think this is a windup. Sorry, Autum, but posts - particularly first posts - asking a very general "what's France like?" and commenting "Britain nowadays..." with implicit rolling of eyes is sometimes the work of a bored wouldbe member hoping to provoke "discussion".

To your questions, specifically about Normandy:

If you like hills, there are plenty in Normandy but Normandy itself is an enormous area which varies a lot.

http://www.frenchwayoflife.net/fr/normandie.asp

Confining myself to Calvados and Manche, for hills, there's the Suisse Normande - Thury Harcourt area, Clécy, or the areas around north and sourth of Vire, Sourdeval, Mortain, Domfront, all of which would be easily in reach if you tack a few extra days onto your visit to the D-day beaches. Or there's Percy in Manche... there are plenty of rivers and lakes so fishing opportunities are good.

There are large British populations, particularly around Vire, Sourdeval, Mortain, Domfront. Fewer British people seem to be around the departement of Seine-Maritime in Haute Normandie but there are some very hilly areas inland.

Airports - Caen Carpiquet, Dinard, Cherbourg, Rouen and others.

As far as England compared to France - sometimes only understanding the way another culture works brings the understanding that England - Britain - gets a lot of things right.

all countrys change plod, whether its for the good or bad,its how the countrys run for the people of a country thats the problem,im not going to go down the road of how i personally feel, there would not be enough room on the page.

perphaps i ought to have wrote were thinking of moving to normandy, any recommendations please of areas.

It's just that some people think there's no nanny state in France; that they ignore EU directives; that taxation is lower; that there's no bureaucracy or Poles etc. It is often said on this forum - move to another country for positive reasons not because you want to leave something behind.

I can't get over the bullying on this Forum.  It saddens me.

Someone comes onto the Forum for the first time and asks a perfectly reasonable question.  Not everyone knows how to search for information on a Forum.  I don't think that these bullies realise how deeply hurtful some of their glib comments can be. 

Autum - Welcome to the Forum.  Ignore the bullies - there are a lot of nice people who contribute to the discussions.  Here are some links.

Tourist information:

http://www.discover-normandy.info/

Buying property in Normandy

http://www.normandydirect.com/

If you are looking to be next to fishing ports, you could try Western Brittany:

http://www.discover-brittany.info/

The weather in Normandy and Brittany is similar to South West England.  It does rain a lot (compared to the rest of France) but is very mild. 

If you do a search on the home page (top right hand corner), you can get a lot of information.  Here are the entries for Normandy:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=Normandy&f=&u=

Good luck with your dreams.  I hope that they come true....

Positive reasons....you are often leaving things behind which you no longer like ...need to move on from a country where you no longer feel comfortable .It really depends on your fincial situation...your dependents and the type of work which you are familiar with.....and whether you feel that you can continue with that profession.

Normandy...the Manche around the Cherbourge peninisular....and the 76 area which has beautiful villages like Veules Les Rose.....both have a very short touristic season .....but very accesable to UK....and because they are in easy reach of the beaches....the most exspensive parts of Normandy.

I've just re-read the posts and have to say I can't find any "bullies". Unless you mean somebody who is anxious to ensure that potential emigrants consider all the facts about another country before they move. There are many misconceptions about what it is like to live in France and people planning a move should understand something of these misconceptions.

[quote user="raindog"]If you post on internet forums you have to know what WUMS and TROLLS are.  [:)]

[/quote]

Not necessarily. We all started out somewhere and that sort of knowledge comes from using the web - it isn't pre-programmed into a brain cell ready for use. Unfortunately. [;-)]

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="raindog"]If you post on internet forums you have to know what WUMS and TROLLS are.  [:)]
[/quote]

Not necessarily. We all started out somewhere and that sort of knowledge comes from using the web - it isn't pre-programmed into a brain cell ready for use. Unfortunately. [;-)]
[/quote]

When I first came across the word 'Troll' on this forum it took me a while to work out what it was, but I was to 'shy' to ask [:$]

Now I'm not, what the hells a WUMS?

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="raindog"]If you post on internet forums you have to know what WUMS and TROLLS are.  [:)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was just a light hearted quip. [:)]

That's right, one learns all this stuff with forum experience.

There's alot of aggression on internet forums and i'm amazed how hardened one becomes over time.

At the very moment i'm writing this, on 2 other boards where I "dabble", posters are knockings pieces off each other - entertaining stuff.