info on Supra Alsace woodburning stove and others

tsherar

Hi,

We are considering the Supra Alsace woodburning stove to go in the living room.

We looked at another stove from a company near us, and have told them we like the Supra.

They replied with the following:

''....be aware Supra are not a good

make..they are not a solid cast iron stove..don't last, and the grates usually

last two years...not covered by their guarantee.
''

Does anyone have any experience with Supra's, and or make a recommendation on a stove maker.

thanks

terry

There seem to be dozens of retailers selling stoves these days so you have quite a choice. Personally, I would go for the Scandinavian ones as they are pretty solid. I have a SCAN which is excellent.

It is true that some bottom of the range French ones are not really good long term value.

I can only speak as I find as I know little of the technical detail. We've had a Supra turbo since 2007 and we are absolutely delighted with it - never a moment's problem and it looks as good as new. The glass front is supposed to stay clear but that depends on whether you slow down the burning by pushing in the control. If you slow down burning then soot will accumulate and OH cleans the door in 5 minutes each morning as well as clearing the grate daily. It looks much newer than our neighbour's Godin of the same age. This is though a subjective view.

We bought a Supra over ten years ago and have been very satisfied with its performance, I am bathing in its warm glow right now....... Judging by its size and output it may have been the forerunner of the Alsace 3.

We replaced the grate grill after about 7 years. Any competent workman who can weld can make a new one from steel bar at minimum cost in an hour or so. The rest of the stove has not apparently degraded.

The fact that it is manufactured from steel or cast iron doesn't really have any bearing on the performance or longevity of the stove provided it is properly specified and manufactured. Cast iron does of course offer the possibility of a more decorative and traditional appearance.

It does suffer by "pretending" to have fancy hinges etc., on the other hand those cast iron stoves from the Fred Dibnah school of engineering have a perception of performance and quality that may disappoint you.

Steve.

[quote user="PaulT"]When a retailer slags off a particular make I always ask 'do you sell them'. When the reply is 'no' I get suspicious that they are saying they are rubbish so as not to lose a customer they can sell to.[/quote]

What if the answer is "No, sir, we only sell quality goods here"?

[quote user="tonyv"][quote user="PaulT"]When a retailer slags off a particular make I always ask 'do you sell them'. When the reply is 'no' I get suspicious that they are saying they are rubbish so as not to lose a customer they can sell to.[/quote]

What if the answer is "No, sir, we only sell quality goods here"?
[/quote]

He is excusing his prices.