New Build Question

Rob Roy

Could someone tell me, or point me in the direction of the necessary information, on the requirements of how far away from your neighbour's land boundary you can build a house. My brother will be building his own place on part of our field; the boundary separates our field and our neighbour's field with no other buildings in the vacinity. We thought the limit was 3 metres fron the boundary but my brother thought that there was a minimum (50%?) relating to the height of the roof.

I have tried to find the answer but obviously looking in the wrong place, or Googling the wrong question[8-)]

Though there can be local differences, the basic rule is either

1 On the boundary

or

2 A minimum of 3 metres from the boundary

or If the proposed building is higher than 6 Metres

3 Half the height of the new building away from the boundary.

See

http://www.caue-sarthe.com/IMG/pdf/bienvoisiner.pdf

Which though one authority's publication clearly sets out the national rules.With pretty diagrams too!

[quote user="BJSLIV"]Though there can be local differences, the basic rule is either 1 On the boundary or 2 A minimum of 3 metres from the boundary or If the proposed building is higher than 6 Metres 3 Half the height of the new building away from the boundary. See http://www.caue-sarthe.com/IMG/pdf/bienvoisiner.pdf Which though one authority's publication clearly sets out the national rules.With pretty diagrams too![/quote]

Good link to PDF; observation in the case of a building being built ON the boundary line, then the Civil/Urban Code requires the SPECIFIC approval of the maire, not the council members etc; whilst in rural areas this approval used to be difficult to obtain, since 2007 it has become easier. In an urban area it would be much easier; one could consider Paris and the town planning by Baron Hausmann. One should also remember that their is a codified right to purchase the "mitoyenèté" of a wall bordering a property or indeed a portion of a bordering wall.

The height distance relation dates from 2007 but rarely of consequence in a rural area and I cant see the Dwarf's, last Sunday, new "Hey folks! You can build an extra 30% with no hassle to get the Banana Republic back on a growth binge and reduce "chomage".[:)]