Silicone removal

Gemonimo

Has anyone experience using a silicone removal using product? I have to remove quite a lot of silicone from the joints in my shower and need to know the best and cleanest way of doing it. And should I wait a while before re-applying new silicone? Basically, is this a job for a 'blonde' or should I call in a plumber?

Yes, the "stuff" works quite well. Just paint it on, and the silicone goes all gooey, then just wipe off. Might need to do it 2 or 3 times, though, to get rid of it all. No need to wait afterward, but make sure you clean it all away. Then wipe round with meths (NOT white spirit!!).

Don't think hair colour matters, but don't let a plumber near it, unless you feel overly rich!

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Thanks guys.  Putting the silicone in was a nightmare so I hope that removing it will prove to be an easier job.[Www][/quote]

Buy a Fugen set from Leroy Merlin, little bit of washing up liquid with water and most important not cheap silicon because it shrinks as it dries by a bigger amount and then falls out.

I went to two brico stores - Weldom and Batiland - to get an appropriate product and both offered me a weedy tube of something nasty at €7+ which will hardly cover the area I want to remove.  I didn't buy as what I'm looking for is this. Anyone know where I could get it other than the UK?

Thank goodness I went on to read your thread, Gem, because, from the title, I thought you were talking about removing this stuff from you BOOBS![8-)]

I had a recent "put my foot in my mouth moment" when the English neighbour came round talking about all that nasty silicone that was used to  augmenter les boobs and, without a thought, I exclaimed, what silly, vacuous woman would have that stuff put in other than for reconstructive work after mastectomy?

Oh, oh, seems that SHE had implants in her boobs and she was worried sick about the news item!  As OH always says, why do you always have to call a spade a bloody shovel?

So, I have in fact decided to shut my mouth, bite my tongue, keep my lips sealed, etc on all subjects to do with silicone [:$]

Aside from stupid tabloid headlines no silicone medical or otherwise does the human bod much good and as the actual source of the silicone used was not revealed the papers simply filled in the gaps. The fact that the bags broke was the whole and only really salient point, medical grade silicone does just as much damage.

Gem Sika is quality and available in France

We have used this (http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/17175) from Screwfix and found its effective, reasonably priced £3.19 and goes quite a long way.  As others have said it may take a couple of applications to get it all off.  Last time we needed it I posted a bottle to a friend out near the house as we can't take it through security when flying, anyone you know in UK that might oblige??

[quote user="Sydney and Huggy"]We have used this (http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-sealant-remover-100ml/17175) from Screwfix and found its effective, reasonably priced £3.19 and goes quite a long way.  As others have said it may take a couple of applications to get it all off.  Last time we needed it I posted a bottle to a friend out near the house as we can't take it through security when flying, anyone you know in UK that might oblige??
[/quote]

I checked the Ebay site where both Unibond and No Nonsense sealant removal were posted but neither will mail to europe[:(] A flying visit to the YewKay s'impose......

Lifting silicone between tiles i just run one of those stanley knife things down each side between the side of tile and the silicone, then with a suitable width flat edged screwdriver lift a portion out of one end, sufficient to get a purchase for pulling, then pull it out in lengths. The better the quality of the silicone the stronger the bond and the easier it pulls out without breaking.

[quote user="pachapapa"]Lifting silicone between tiles i just run one of those stanley knife things down each side between the side of tile and the silicone, then with a suitable width flat edged screwdriver lift a portion out of one end, sufficient to get a purchase for pulling, then pull it out in lengths. The better the quality of the silicone the stronger the bond and the easier it pulls out without breaking.[/quote]

I might just try that, PPP as I want to get the job done yesterday[:D]