Any rules for how close an electric socket can be to a tap?

CherryB

Following my question on the long-term letting topic, please can anyone help with this? My daughter is renting in a shared apartment where there is a socket less than 20 cm from the kitchen tap which does not seem safe to me. Is this legal?

What is safe, what is legal and what is actually done in France are very different things when it comes to wiring.

In my last house, the fuse box was above the bath. The advantage there was I did not even have to get out of the shower to re-set the RCD if it tripped!

If it was installed  before a certain date which escapes me then it's OK. When I modernised my kitchen at the end of last year and because it was rewired the socket next to the sink was removed. The thing I always consider strange is these coin cuisine units with a sink, draining board and two ring electric hob combination in stainless steel. The potential for somebody getting electrified seems quite high to me but then that's France.

[quote user="CherryB"]Following my question on the long-term letting topic, please can anyone help with this? My daughter is renting in a shared apartment where there is a socket less than 20 cm from the kitchen tap which does not seem safe to me. Is this legal?[/quote]

As far as the French standards are concerned, yes, this is legal so long as the socket is not directly above the sink+drainer or the hob. The only specified "banned volumes" for electrical sockets concern the bathroom. The standard concerned is NF C 15-100, and you can see a good layman's summary of this at:

http://www.e-catalogue.schneider-electric.fr/navDoc/catalog/nf/little/index.htm

[quote user="dave21478"]What is safe, what is legal and what is actually done in France are very different things when it comes to wiring.

In my last house, the fuse box was above the bath. The advantage there was I did not even have to get out of the shower to re-set the RCD if it tripped!

[/quote]

IP68?

[quote user="Bugsy"]Don't know but the one in our downstairs bathroom is close enough to let you put the hairdryer into the sink. .[/quote]

I told my wife that it was OK to do this. Still waiting. [6]

Only joking!

[quote user="sid"]

[quote user="Bugsy"]Don't know but the one in our downstairs bathroom is close enough to let you put the hairdryer into the sink. .[/quote]

I told my wife that it was OK to do this. Still waiting. [6]

Only joking!

[/quote]Clearly she's not as stupid as you thought.  Oh, no, wait a minute, she married you......

Only joking![6]