Buying timber / Timber merchants.

Ysatis

Evening all.

We are located near Civray (86) and will be needing large quantities of timber, for example, floorboards.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a timber merchant in that area. All we have seen is the blister wrapped flooring in Brico or similar places which obviously is an expensive way to buy. 

I have seen a timber place just outside Sauzé, but I'm not sure if they sell to the public.

Kind regards.

We're not in your area, but for what it is worth we've just sourced our floorboards and after a lot of visits to timber mills and bricos we found that the cost of plain pine boards was about 2/3 the price in the bricos compared with timber mills. In the end we got ours on special offer very cheap (but don't touch the déclassé packs, they're cheap because they are damaged/knotty). Anything more exotic - oak, chestnut came up about the same price in each place, but had to be done to order. All the timber mills round our way are happy to deal with particuliers. Just walk in and ask. Do remember they will quote without tax.

And do remember that many will quote by volume rather than lengths etc.

Its a good idea to work out how much you want to spend before going there particularly as if you want to compare with Bricos you may need to calculate the price per cubic metre of their material to get fair comparison. I found for good Douglas fir I was paying about 60% at the scierie of what I would pay at the merchants and I guess Bricos are dearer still...cutting out the middle man.

While I think of it...what I do each year is prepare a document like a devis and send it to local merchants asking them to price things like ballast, sand, cement, rigid insulation, delivery prices etc. they will be reluctant to price metal ie steel fabric or copper tube as these prices can fluctuate quite a bit. He who is cheapest is most likely to attract my interest! I find our local people only too happy and it gives me a doc I can print out ...point at their 'tendered price' and tell them how much of it I want...

Hi Ysatis,

We are also in your area, and in fact have just returned from the local sawmill with a big lump of oak for our fireplace mantel!

The mill is on the road from Romagne to Branzay, it's a small family business and I would say is worth a trip to see if they can help you :-)