Disposal of grease trap waste

NickP

Have you tried flushing it down the loo?  [;-)]

Couldn't resist that, but seriously, how much are we talking here?

I've heard of people just putting it out for amimals to feed on but I can think of many reasons why not to do this

Dig a big hole in a remote part of your property perhaps?

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Are you allowed to put a biological digester and dosing pump in line?[/quote]

I don't know Mac to be honest, we will have an inspection in two weeks time and this started my thought process. It took me long enough to find the grease trap; it was buried under about six inches of soil and grass/weeds. I cleaned it out and surprisingly it wasn't too bad, but we are very careful what we put down the sinks, and as most of the time there are only two of us in residence, would the cost of your suggestion be really necessary. I just wondered what to do with the "Goo". As I was unsure of the disposal procedure  I filled a bucket with saw dust,  put the grease into that, transferred the lot into a large brown paper bag and took it to the dump. I just wondered what would be the best method of disposal?  Still when the inspection people have been and reported we will find out whether what we have conforms or not, and  I will make a decision then. Cheers.

I am definitely confused about septic tank systems !!!!!!

We have a GRP tank (I think - it has a GRP lid anyway) into which flows the toilet waste pipe via a vertical drop pipe in the tank, so far so good.

Downstream of that is a baffle plate which I quite understand. Then there is, I presume, a second chamber although I haven't opened that one yet.

Is the second chamber likely to be a grease trap or just another settling tank?

The main problem with opening the covers is that the first tank has a very heavy (est 100+kg) concrete slab cover, in a brass casing and topped with tiles. There is a lifting eye threaded insert cast into it and I needed to build a substantial A frame over it and use a winch to lift the cover. This allowed the GRP cover to be removed and the tank to be pumped out. It was then recharged with plain water to a level above the bottom of the inlet drop pipe and the bottom of the baffle plate, then it was dosed with 15 sachets of tarax to restart it.

The second ''tank'' has 2 x access covers side by side, each more than 1 m square and one has 2 x lifting eye bolt inserts, the other has none. Same construction as the first tank and estimated to be approaching 150 kgs weight.

I assume that I will need to access those covers and get the pump tanker in again - more A frame and winching !!!!!!

Our present problem is drain smells in the bathroom, I suspect that the system vent pipe is possibly choked and 'back pressure' is forcing gas back up the toilet trap, or possibly up the shower drain although the plug is always left in place when not being used.

The main question is:- do we have a grease trap and is that the cause of the vent pipe choking or if not, should we have a grease trap? I was under the impression that the grease trap was BEFORE the tank although obviously not in the toilet waste piping (that would be YUK).

The kitchen waste 'appears' to go to the second tank, could this be where the grease trap is?

What does a grease trap look like anyway?(internally).

Any septic genii out there with thoughts????????

The pump is a very simple affair however even if you kept a washing up bottle of the solution near the sink you could probably just fire a shot in from time to time. The active bacteria may not be good in a food prep area but I have installed the devices in food prep areas of supermarkets before...

powerdesal

A grease trap is currently required if the fosse tank is more than 10m from the kitchen outlet.

If fitted it will be sited between the kitchen outlet and the connection to the foul sewer pipe before that connects into the fosse tank.

It's also possible to connect bathroom non toilet waste pipes before the grease trap too.

We are fitting a fosse of 3000 ltr soon which will be sited more than 10m from the house. The grease trap we are asked to fit is 200 ltr.

After the tank there is a pre filter tank which also has to be cleaned from time to time. From there into the sand filter bed.

Hope this helps

Further to the saga of my fosse septique,

I have now got access to the second chamber and lifting the grp cover (large square one about 1.5 x 1.5m ) I can see what appears to be black charcoal type lumps, they may be in a tray type thing but I can't really tell yet.

What are they likely to be, what do they do and what should I do with / to them????????

Help !!!!!!

edit: It is a tray, approx 2 x 1.5 m, somewhat bent and broken, seems to be about 5cm deep and filled with a layer of pumice type rock (????).

2nd edit. Now sorted.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Further to the saga of my fosse septique, I have now got access to the second chamber and lifting the grp cover (large square one about 1.5 x 1.5m ) I can see what appears to be black charcoal type lumps, they may be in a tray type thing but I can't really tell yet. What are they likely to be, what do they do and what should I do with / to them???????? Help !!!!!! edit: It is a tray, approx 2 x 1.5 m, somewhat bent and broken, seems to be about 5cm deep and filled with a layer of pumice type rock (????). 2nd edit. Now sorted.[/quote]

filter containing pouzzalane at exit of fosse septique; purpose to prevent solids being carried forward to block the sand filter bed. The pouzzalane should be changed in the tray in conjunction with the "vidange" of the fosse septique. However it can be hosed down with a strong stream of water to encourage the possibly colloidal sludge held by surface tension or electro-static charge to return to the fosse septique. 

• 8 months later...
[quote user="pachapapa"][:D]

Son installation est fortement conseillée

si la fosse toutes eaux est implantée à plus de 10 m de l’habitation.

But it is a good idea![:P]

[/quote]

ours is about to be installed, and I can not get a straight answer to questions. (raised from reading this forum  , so its all your fault !) I  find it somewhat irritating, its like buying a new  car asking ,  What a button does ? ,  and being told, "I  need it , that's all". 

So guys,  Is it a good idea to put the grease trap in ? or leave it out, our fosse will be 20 m  from the Kitchen.  

In the UK , we are on the old old old system , all goes to a tank,  allegedly   a  filter ,   and 100 m later  water out to ditch (with reeds ) . No such thing as a grease trap

nothing to clean, nothing to think about.. no grease trap and we empty what is a fairly small settling tank once every 6years or so if we feel enthusiastic.

thoughts ?? advice    [8-)] 

Bill