How to line a stone wall thats underground to stop damp?

Pads

Back again at mac do's for a nother trip to brico.... with another question

We have a very thick stone wall that is underground with out having to dig the soil away can we line it from inside to be able to decorate and tile (its going to be a utility room) Its not really damp now but its a well aired room , our worry is if we make a frame and plasterboard it that it will become damp. We dont want to keep it stone as its very dirty and not nice to look at type of stone ?

Many thanks for any replies

Pads .....happy in the sunshine ;)

Ps .... found my self swimming next to a 4ft long snake in my lac the other evening still it didnt bother me so i didnt bother it  ...... ;0)

In the UK the word your looking for is 'tank'. I have never done it but if you Google "How do you tank a wall" there is loads of information which varies depending on how bad the damp is. I think it will not be cheap (material wise) but doing it yourself will be a lot cheaper than getting somebody in to do it. You need to be pretty reasonable at DIY, above average I would say.

We did it with the back wall of our last house, but it was made of breeze blocks, not stone, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Excavate a trough well down the wall. Let it dry out,  then paint wall with 3 coats of bitumen. Lay gravel in the trough, then a sheet of permeable membrane, then drainage pipes (they have little holes in them.) then more gravel/pebbles. Then backfill with earth.

I can't remember what it cost, but it worked.

google gives variations on this method.

[quote user="Patf"]We did it with the back wall of our last house, but it was made of breeze blocks, not stone, so I don't know if that would make a difference.
Excavate a trough well down the outside of the wall. Let it dry out,  then paint wall with 3 coats of bitumen. Lay gravel in the trough, then a sheet of permeable membrane, then drainage pipes (they have little holes in them.) then more gravel/pebbles. Then backfill with earth.
I can't remember what it cost, but it worked.
google gives variations on this method.
[/quote]

Just to make Pat's post clear.  The technique is I believe called a French Drain - and may not be possible in every case..

Just my take on it ....

Repair the wall if it needs it

Clean the wall down and anti fungicide it

Install studded membrane ie. 'Delta' or similar making sure the membrane extends below the floor slab in good draining soils / gravel or to a proprietary channel leading to a sump.

I will assume reasonable drainage otherwise you would maybe need to consider a sump pump.

Cast floor screed up to the membrane

lay a breather membrane up the walls and over lap the screed then fit a rail and montant stud wall on top of the membrane at floor level and the membrane tucked round it at chamber joist.

Insulate between 'studs' with kingspan or similar then run in any gaine for services etc. in front of the insulation.

Install plywood grounds wherever you intend mounting rads or similar

board in 12.5 mm plasterboard leaving a small gap to floor level

Tape and joint or plaster as suits.

'Gun in' the small gap below boards in silicone or mastic seal.

PVA the finished walls for tiling or where being painted- prime in thinned down emulsion paint

Fil flooring - tiling - trims skirtings etc.

You should end up with a well insulated wall thus preventing capillary action drawing damp in....